Monday, July 29, 2013

A Frog Story (10/30)

Miss Bit started a new camp today at our favorite nature preserve.  On the way, she confessed her tummy hurt.  Nerves I told her.  It's just your first day jitters.  As we approached the lodge, she hoped to see a familiar face.  I hope I'm in camp with someone I know.  Well, not just someone I know, but someone I like too, she wished aloud. Moments later we ran into a neighbor.  Wish granted.  When she found out the day's activity was ponding, I knew her queasy energy was cured.

I called her from work after camp and she answered the phone with sunshine in her voice.  She shared that she had a great day traipsing along the trails and catching frogs at pond's edge.  And then her voice got small and slight.  She whispered, But I don't like the teacher.  She told me she didn't like the teacher because she didn't like the way she treated the frogs.  Apparently the masochist teacher piled the frogs in buckets, which does not conform to my girl's rule that you only hold frogs long enough to say Hi, name them and then set them free in the precise spot in which they were found.  She asked the teacher if she could set "her" frogs free. The teacher said No!  The teacher said No! and she walked away, and then Miss Bit promptly set all the froggies free.  The End!


No comments: