Monday, May 27, 2013

On My Mind Monday

She’s suffering because she’s chosen to base her personal happiness on things outside of her control.  And as she sits there on the stairs shaking and crying, I can see that she really does get it.  Suffering is no fun.  She doesn’t like it one bit.  She’d rather be happy…What if someone told you that when you were twelve years old?  What if you’d spent your whole life understanding that we have a choice?  And that we can choose freedom simply by committing ourselves to ending suffering.  It doesn’t have to be so hard all the time.

Laura Munson
This Is Not The Story You Think It Is...A Season of Unlikely Happiness


I've been thinking a lot lately about how to empower my sensitive, old-souled, pre-tween daughter.  She feels everything so deeply...the good and the bad.  It weighs heavy on me.  I feel the responsibility that is mine to share words with her and to teach her by example.  I am aware that my actions speak volumes to the mere pages of my words.  As a role model, that is daunting because I too am on the sensitive side so without intention I reinforce her delicate feelings.  Munson's words on this very topic spoke to me.  I know it's so important to show our children that happiness is a choice by continually making that choice day after day even when it seems impossible.  It gives them wings.  We must tell our children to choose happiness and beauty.  They need to know they deserve it.  Sharing that simple wisdom with them gives them roots.  It's what I most want for T. Bone and Miss Bit: roots and wings...and happiness.



No comments: