Thursday, March 17, 2011

Think Spring...Think Green!












Happy St. Paddy's Day! It's going to climb into the 60s today. I am blaming it on the luck of the Irish. What a magical combination: warm weather and cold beer! Of course, there's still plenty of snow on the ground, but the chippies are awake and chirping and the robins are actually finding big, fat, juicy worms for breakfast. I'm officially ready for spring and it's a good thing since it arrives Sunday just as this taste of summer flees.


T. Bone and Miss Bit were excited to wear short sleeves today, but they were not eager to get freckled. My Mom used to turn us into lucky leprechauns every St. Pat's Day with the help of a toothpick and a bottle of green food coloring. Really there's no convincing my two so I turn their insides green instead. I made a batch of cinnamon buns for breakfast this morning and colored the frosting green. It's our tradition and I'm just saying that they taste so much yummier than they look. In fact, they are such a treat that I want to make a pan for everyone I know and deliver them warm on their doorsteps first thing in the morning. I'm happy to say that Pillsbury has lost a customer for good. T. Bone suggested I take a picture of his bun to post on my blog. I also made Irish soda bread, although my version is a far cry from the traditional loaf. I add dark chocolate chips, dried cherries and chopped almonds and I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't love it.


Slainte to spring and St. Paddy's Day!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and the Irish angel who is smiling down on you today.

Kristin said...

O'Shit! I better be good!