Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Detour

After the rest of my family went to bed last night, I decided to watch Manhattan. I picked it up at the library last week because I'd never seen the iconic film, and it's been so long since I've been to the city. I've tried to be an Allen fan a time or two, but the truth is that I'm just rather not. I am a big fan of Play it Again Sam nonetheless, and have fond memories of studying and seeing the play with my college theater class. Perhaps I should track down Casablanca if I want to be entertained. Anyhow...the best parts of the film are the Gershwin score and the black and white cinematography. I found 40-something Isaac's relationship with 17 year old Tracy sickeningly prophetic. I kept forgetting that I was watching Mariel Hemingway instead of Soon-Yi Previn. I laughed aloud a few times, but mostly I was like ewww. The point being that I stayed up past my bedtime to watch the whole thing just waiting to be enlightened as to why it is so acclaimed, and now today I'm dragging. Today very well may be a 3 coffee day. I'm sitting here watching the squirrels in my yard as they do flips and frolic around. I'd be grateful for just a little of their energy. I cannot say that I've ever before experienced squirrel envy. I thought about visiting the Audubon for a hike. It's been so cold that the ground is likely still frozen so I won't have to make a shoe sacrifice, but now I'm full of compelling excuses. I planned to make soup and bread for dinner. Sadly, coring a cauliflower seems like too much of a chore for me right now. I'll probably opt for my regular route around the hood, heat up leftovers for supper, and maybe even watch another movie, although it won't have anything to do with Woody Allen to be sure.

No comments: