Friday, March 4, 2011

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

The things that kids say. This week we passed a guy coming out of the coffee shop in pajama bottoms on our way to school. T. Bone mused, "I want that kind of life." When I questioned just what kind of life he was referring to, he added, "The retired life." It took all my mite not to laugh out loud and uproariously. Then the next day he contemplated, "I'm not sure if I'll be in the NBA, MLB or NFL. Well, I'll probably be in all 3." Again...I showed massive restraint.

Miss Bit is such a kind and true friend at the tender age of 6. She invited one of her BFFs for a sleepover tonight and then upon finding out that another good friend would be joining them for tubing tomorrow, she insisted that I call and invite her to the sleepover too.

Hands on learning. Today T. Bone went to school dressed as a pioneer for the culmination of their recent studies of the wagon trail and life during that time. He took his lunch in a kitchen towel secured with horsehair (kitchen twine). We were careful to pack things that the pioneers would have eaten: a hunk of bread, bacon, a hard boiled egg and an apple. His class will reenact a typical day in the one room classroom. I think it's incredibly exciting and valuable to immerse learners in the material.

An afternoon with the ladies. Getting together with my step-mom and sil this week for lunch at an adorable bistro followed by a visit to the spa. I indulged in a crock of french onion soup, the salad Nicoise and a facial. I was also grateful that my step-mom shared a bite of her croque madam with me.

An adorable pair of McKenzie cheaters...a gift just because from my sil.

T. Bone won first place in our district's free throw contest out of 17 contestants. Now he goes onto the city-wide competition.

Time to read with Miss Bit's classroom Tuesday in honor of Dr. Suess' birthday.

The way American Idol inspires T. Bone to practice his guitar more.

A lovely dinner party in honor of my step-mom's 60th birthday. It was a family affair with everyone contributing. I love dinner guests who help cook and then clean up too. It was a royal feast: white bean dip with homemade pitas, creamy crab bisque, salad with almonds, dried cranberries, apples and bleu cheese, shrimp scampi, juicy grilled t-bones, asparagus bundles wrapped with peppered bacon and crusty ciabatta all washed down with chilled whites and oaky reds. Then we served red velvet cupcakes, German chocolate cake, vanilla bean ice cream and Kona coffee for dessert. And yes, I woke up with a tummy ache at 3:00 in the morning, but it was worth every doggone bite.

An hour-long relaxation massage last night. I left feeling like jello.

A walk this morning in the rain. The birds were out chirping, but there's still plenty of snow on the ground.

Time to contact state senators this week. I called and I sent emails. I don't care what side you are on, it's time to get on with the job at hand. They are paid handsomely by taxpayers even as they thwart the democratic process they claim to be protecting. It's embarrassing and insulting.

A weekend ahead with plenty of quiet spaces.

No comments: