Thursday, March 31, 2011

March: I Bid Adieu To You

I cannot say I’m dreading your departure. You’re such a tease: 40s one week and 60s the next, 30s by night and 50s by day. One morning I need wool and the very next I’m shedding layers. During my walk yesterday, I was hat on hat off depending on the changing direction of the wind. One night I smell steaks on the grill and the next logs on the fire.

This ambiguous in between is at the heart of my malaise these days. I resist change until it’s undeniably inevitable. April will be the month in which I embrace it. Come May I’ll scarcely be able to imagine wearing shoes or staying inside, nor will I want to.


After my long walk yesterday, I felt energized and downright more up. I didn’t make soup, but I did make a batch of chocolate peanut butter swirl muffins that were so good they’re gone. All 19 of them! I had one for lunch, and then the kids and their friends came home from school and inhaled…the smell and the cupcakes, which is really what they are. I also wrapped some up for T. Bone and Miss Bit’s teachers as a token of our appreciation for the important job they do. I surmise they’re not feeling too valuable given the acrimony in our state. They are. T. Bone told me that whenever Mrs. J. talks about baking she says, “T. Bone I bet your Mom could make that.” Then he beamed, “That’s cuz’ your such a good cooker Mom.” He thinks we should make her a batch of our sinful cinnamon rolls next week. I think that’s just sweeter than sweet. He's a smart one my T. Bone.


The days are getting longer and I’m beginning to adjust to that as well. I was almost through with 27 Dresses when the sun set and I had to call Miss Bit home from the neighbor’s before dark. I ignored the pounding at the back door certain she was playing tricks and that the door was unlocked. It went from a rap rap rap to RAP! RAP! RAP! As I approached the door a tad annoyed, I saw Miss Bit’s face of sheer fear in the window. Not only was the door locked, but someone had chalked a message on the patio for my girl. It said, “I will get you Miss Bit.” She wanted me to call 911. I suggested we give the 411 to her brother when he returned home, sent her upstairs for her shower, and settled in for the last couple minutes of the movie I'd been attempting to watch all afternoon. Seconds later she was bounding down the stairs in her birthday suit and before I could object she confessed that she had something very important to tell me. She said, “I want you to know that you are the best mom ever and I would never ever want another mom ever.” And, “And oh, are you coming upstairs now?” I did. Before she got in the shower she said, “Mom, you’re really beautiful.” She’s a smart one my Bit.


T. Bone reluctantly confessed to a crime he didn't commit. It's still up for grabs just who is writing graffiti on our patio (Mr. turkey? Little Red?), but at least Miss Bit was able to sleep through the night. I wasn't quite as fortunate. I was wide awake at 3:41, and then fast asleep at 6:00 when I planned to get up for an early morning walk. I was probably better off staying in bed...it was only 29 degrees after all. April, really what took you so *&$# long?

No comments: