Tuesday, March 29, 2011

In the Raw

Miss Bit woke up this morning feeling sad. My girl usually wakes with a smile on her face ready to greet each new day with some level of exuberance. Through her muffled tears, she managed to express her desire to stay home with the family another day. I tell you I got it...I get it. I have felt like more of a homebody than usual as of late where I crave calm and communion with my peeps. This weekend we were goers, and it was all good, but something has to give when so much goodness fills your days and nights. That something is the fuel that fills our tanks for another long week. The quiet moments are restorative...the downtime uplifting. I don't prefer to start my week on empty with my resources depleted. After so much fun with family and friends ALL weekend long, we are all in need of a little lost time. I know it's why I came home yesterday afternoon, put my jammies on and shamelessly escaped in a movie. I cannot remember the last time I had a movie night in broad daylight. When it was over, I prepared breakfast for dinner. It's intuitive that eggs, bacon and homemade cinnamon rolls are the equivalent of comfort on a plate. The kids were tucked in bed early, and I managed to get almost 10 hours of sleep, yet I still resisted Mr. Sun this morning. The morning light felt like an assault on my senses. Miss Bit felt a little better and able to face the day after succumbing to the weepies, a strong hug and the prospect of picking out a new pair of earrings for the day ahead. And the thing is that I get that too. Something seemingly small and insignificant can turn a bad day good...make a hard day easier. Sometimes a piece of jewelry can give me peace, but usually it's taking stock of my blessings that reframes my perspective and lightens my load. Gifts like family and friends to share this life with and good food to nourish my family and a husband who works hard outside the house so I can be here at home for my littles when they need me most. I don't take any of it for granted.

No comments: