Thursday, November 18, 2010

the world has its ways to quiet us down

yes, the world has its ways to quiet us down

there's been a chill in the air the past couple days. the skies have been glossed over gray. for me... these are quintessential late autumn days heavily hinting of change in the air. i like them. this morning the last colorful leaves were being untethered from their sturdy almost barren branches and wafted to the cold ground. winter is just around the corner. i see it. i feel it. i don't like it.

my eyes were drawn to an array of still colorful mums in a yard as I made my way along the lakefront. the hired help was yanking the bold citrine, amber and pomegranite plants from their pots and piling them up like trash on the curb. i wanted to open my window and scream, "it's not even thanksgiving yet people!" why is human nature so prone to rush and scurry? i'm just not a fan of haste or hurry.

a little further down the road i watched an older couple walk with quite a jolly spring in their steps hand in hand wearing matching santa hats. really? christmas already? yet who am i fooling...i ordered my cards, have put a dent in my shopping, and made reserves for breakfast with santa and a date to trek to the tree farm.

i was stopped beside a swanky local hotel that is owned by a man whose children i once nannied. his ex-wife lives across the street from my kid's school in a neat tidy little house. it's a far cry from the homes they shared together with stables and elevators and maid's quarters. sometimes i see her working in her yard and i think she looks happy...happier even...living a simpler life closer to the earth.

And today all I can tell myself is...
The world has it's ways to quiet us down comes rain
down goes our spirits again
down comes the strength
to lift us up and then...

No comments: