Tuesday, November 9, 2010

On My Mind Monday

The World is not a place but the vastness of the soul. And the soul is nothing more than love, limitless, endless, all that moves us toward knowing what is true. I once thought love was supposed to be nothing but bliss. I now know it is also worry and grief, hope and trust. And believing in ghosts - that's believing that love never dies. If people we love die, then they are lost only to our ordinary senses. If we remember, we can find them anytime with our hundred secret senses.
Amy Tan

On the way to Kohler, I realized that the last time I was there was exactly 3 years ago to the very weekend. We had just learned of my Mom's diagnosis. My brother whisked us away for some pampering really to celebrate because we had so much hope that everything would be OK. I shared a room with my Mom. We all shared some tears, but more laughs. It's a bittersweet memory, but then aren't so very many?

I felt a moment of panic when I took stock of all that has happened since that weekend 3 years ago. Anyone who has lost someone pivotal in life knows that feeling of realization that washes over you unexpectantly at times...wait, this really happened? It's really been that long? I really am still living and laughing and loving? How? Wow.

No comments: