Saturday, November 20, 2010

A MEME ON A SLOW SATURDAY

I'm feeling a little uninspired this morning, hence this meme I found somewhere sometime. Although, it may even be too meaty for my taste today.

What experiences most shaped you?

My parents divorce. I was 4 so I don't really remember them together. I never doubted their love for me or my brother, and now I truly believe they loved each other, but were too young and naive. I've always thought that as a family we were better off with them apart, but coming from a broken home always brings challenges and hardships.

A high school sweetheart who broke my heart too many times to count. Our exclusive relationship kept me on the fringe of high school, and it limited my experiences. In a moment of empowerment, I ended it, but the dynamics of my first love have affected every relationship I've had since.

Marrying my husband and making a new life together...a good life...a life I really like living.

The birth of my children who are the two brightest shining lights in my life. Being their mother is the perfect gift that gives my life its most meaning. They are my beautiful muses.

The death of my Mother. Watching my best friend fade from this life was the most difficult thing I have ever experienced. Every day I miss her...I mourn her, but I also celebrate her and at times feel that she is so very close.

A day without commitments...what would you do?

Putter. I'd stay in my comfies at home lingering over my coffee while blogging just like this morning. I'd write a little, read a few pages of a book or an article in a magazine, bake something decadent, cook something comforting, work on projects and chores around the house, play games with my family, take a walk with my hubby and end the day with a hot shower, a fresh pair of pjs and a movie.

Food or drink you would never give up?

I'm pretty certain it would be near impossible for me to give up cheese or coffee.

Where would you travel and why?

Oh, there are many places stateside and abroad that I dream of visiting, but there really is only one answer to this question...Ireland. My Mom was intensely proud of her Irish heritage. She always talked about traveling there one day as a family, and when my Mom said something she meant it. I feel that I owe it to her to take my family there and sprinkle some of her ashes in the Celtic Sea...to bring her home. I know that's what she'd want. After all, she had a bagpiper play Let Me Take You Home Again Kathleen as the recessional at her funeral. It was hauntingly beautiful.

An easy recipe without cheese?

There is no such thing...sorry.

What did you think you'd be when you grew up?

I always wanted to do something that involved reading and writing. At different points in my life, I envisioned working as an author, an editor, a journalist, a teacher and a professor. I've tried some of these out, and now I'm working on what I want to be now that I am grown up. Let me tell you...it's daunting.

Who is your favorite woman writer? Why?

If we're talking about fiction...hands down my favorite author is Amy Tan. She's my first love if you will. Her style draws me in and so does her subject matter. She's always writing about relationships...particularly, mothers and daughters...and spirituality, which resonates with the old soul in me. Her novels impart such beautiful wisdom. I find reading her akin to a holy experience.

What is the character trait that inspires you the most?

Altruism. Quite simply I'm awed by selflessness, and I think it's the most difficult trait to behold. I'm not talking the Dalai Lama, but living with intentions of the heart.

What is your favorite kind of music?

My musical taste is eclectic, but if I have to choose a single style, I'd have to go with singer songwriters like Rickie Lee Jones, Paul Simon, Nora Jones, Ray LaMontagne and so many wonderful others.

What books have touched you most?

There are so many, but off the top of my head I can say...
Every one of Amy Tan's novels
Pat Conroy's Prince of Tides and Beach Music
Barbara Kingsolver's The Poisonwood Bible
Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns
Kathryn Stockett's The Help
Jane Hamilton's The Book of Ruth and A Map of the World
Wally Lamb's She's Come Undone
Sue Monk Kidd's The Secret Life of Bees
Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird
F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby
Louise Erdrich's Love Medicine
Jean Rhy's Wide Sargasso Sea
The Tao of Pooh and The Te of Piglet
Gibran's The Prophet
Toni Morrison's Beloved

What is your ideal wake-up time?

7:00, well rested and ready to start the day at least a half hour before the rest of my family.

What cd would you bring to a deserted island?

A mix cd with all my favorite singer songwriters!

What are 3 things you want to accomplish in this decade?

I want to continue to raise my children to be kind, caring, confident, charming, charismatic people.

I want to write and have my work published.

I want to travel with my family.

What is 1 thing you would change about yourself?

Hmmm...only 1. I would get over my aversion to risk so I could more comfortably put myself out there and take chances.

Has blogging changed you?

It has and it continues to do so.

No comments: