Tuesday, April 6, 2010

What We've Been Up To









I went to bed last night to the sound of rolling thunder followed by flashes of lightning which brilliantly lit up the dark black sky. This morning the spring rite of passage charges and blasts on. It may be morning, but it's masquerading as night.

Miss Bit and I had a sleepover in her room. The air mattress is still front and center on the floor after her weekend sleepover with cousin H. We said our prayers, talked about our day and then she put on her new sleeping mask and we both drifted off. I slept until my aching back sounded off like an alarm to wake me up. I crawled into my own bed in the wee hours to get some more sleep.

I love a rainy day, but not so much during spring break. I planned to shag the kids (and friends) out into the yard to burn off the copious amounts of sugar they've consumed the past couple days. T. Bone and Miss Bit received 3 baskets filled to the brim apiece. Yesterday Miss Bit overheard me on the phone telling her Grandpa that she ate nothing but sugar on Sunday. She piped in, "Na ah...I ate some fruit!" I guess she told us.

I'm grateful that the weather cooperated this weekend since we had a houseful and yardful of guests for the duration. I enjoyed my first slightly soggy hike of the season Friday with Jess. Then we had our first happy hour on the patio. My brother morphed into the mixologist and made some mad margaritas for our sipping pleasure. It was so chill to enjoy the patio, the warm breeze, the tunes, the company.

I spent Saturday in the kitchen making quiches, scones, muffins, bars and cakes. My kids and their cousins came in from time to time to serve as my taste testers. They didn't turn down seconds so I knew the baked goods were in fact good. We ordered pizza for the ever growing crew because I was ready to hang up my apron for the day and so done with all kinds of dough.

Sunday morning the kids had just enough time to hunt for their baskets before church. We arrived with just 10 minutes to spare to find standing room only...only we knew better. We headed up to the front of the church and found seats for the 6 of us in the first 2 pews. After mass, I got several compliments with regard to my lovely family...my well-behaved 4 kids and I just smiled and said "thank you." Miss Bit was joyful to proclaim that, "Jesus roses today!"

T. Bone couldn't wait to shed his blazer, and before the rest of the guests arrived he had on khaki shorts with his oxford. Miss Bit was happy to keep her Easter dress on, but she swapped out the patent leather Mary Janes for rain boots. They hunted for eggs and spent the rest of the day playing pick up games of basketball, baseball, kickball, you name it ball. My brother is the biggest kid of all, and has the most fun organizing the games. The brunch was delicious...I think it's safe to say that no one left hungry.

Since they'll be no fun in the yard today, we may hit the movies this afternoon to break up the day.

No comments: