Thursday, April 8, 2010

Mother Nature's Joke

Last night's gale force winds brought us this morning's flurries. The confused flakes are trying to hide the plush green grass, but they'll have to try harder to succeed. Ah, such is April. The weathermen say that today we'll get 1-3 inches. Last week at this time I was hot. Last night I had to turn the heat back on, draw warm baths and hand out afghans thanks to the chill in the air. Miss Bit was thrilled that the bath salts Grandma put in her Easter basket turned her water pink. I was tickled that she smelled like blooming flowers. I buried my nose in her head the way I used to when she was a freshly bathed babe unable to get enough of that sweet on sweet aroma.

We put the kids to bed at 9:00, but then we let T. Bone sneak back down for a special viewing of The Blindside. As the older sibling, I remember such special privileges fondly. The movie was even more moving, inspiring and witty than I expected, and the lessons and messages most important. I looked over at my firstborn while the credits rolled, and was happy to see him wiping the tears from his eyes with a smile on his face. The Blindside had that same effect on his mama. I don't care what anyone says, I firmly believe that Sandra earned every ounce of her Oscar for this performance.

When I checked on Miss Bit before I turned in, she still had her "sleeping" mask on. You gotta love a girl who takes her beauty sleep so seriously.

Despite the utter lack of cooperation from Mother Nature, this has been a good week. Today we have odds and end to take care of...bank business and appointments replace funny business and play dates, but I'm sure we'll mix in a little fun somehow along the way. Tomorrow is a big day for the kids...Aunt Jess is taking them to Legoland. He's excited to see the plastic creations, and she's excited to go to Chicago. I am just thankful for my dear friend coming to my rescue, and once again without my having to ask. That's the most generous charity.

I'm expecting it to be sunny and warm every day next week. I'm pretty sure someone will be laughing and I can guarantee you that it won't be me.

No comments: