Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Turkey Day


I am finding it hard to believe that today is Thanksgiving. This fall has literally flown by, and now begins the countdown to Christmas. I want to freeze time and marinate in the spirit of the season...bask in the joy, revel in the hope, dream of the peace, and soak in the love. I need it. Last week I felt all of these beautiful things and I felt so light. This week has been a bit of a struggle and I feel rather heavy. I may be a bit blue, but I'm still filled with gratitude each and every day, and especially today. This Thanksgiving Day I am thankful for...

My family...simply put I am beyond blessed to share this journey with my loved ones.

My friends who guarantee that I am never alone, misunderstood or without reasons to celebrate.

T. Bone made a thankful turkey in art. Each feather details something for which he is thankful. Life, light, family, friends, teachers, pets, food, water, books and sports sums it up, and I couldn't agree more.

Traditions. Together we are bound by the traditions we share and the memories they help us create.

River

Lots of time with my hubby this week. We hung out, did some shopping, went for a hike, and we even did a craft together. He helped me make these corn crackers for our table today. I always get a kick out of shopping with him because he doesn't shop often so he's like a kid in a candy shop.
Getting my Mom's famous zucchini casserole right, finally. She didn't leave a recipe, and I didn't listen very closely when she told me the tricks. It came to me though, just when I needed it and we will be serving it tonight. I am so writing down my recipes for my kids.

Communion. When I called my Dad to ask if there was room for two more at the table, he didn't hesitate when he said and meant, "The more the merrier!" Miss Bit's friend and her Mom, my friend, cannot make the trip home to Colorado to be with family this year, but they will be making the trek over the river and through the woods to gather with our family. This may sound a little funny, but I prayed about extending this invitation because I'm still so fragile. Then Sunday Deacon Rob talked so poignantly of compassion and recognizing the needs of others during the homily. Of course, I heard my answer, and I'm feeling even more thankful to share the holiday with them.

It's a cloudy, cool day. Thanksgiving isn't supposed to be warm and sunny or cold and snowy.

I'm off for my annual Thanksgiving Day run. It's a tradition that started when I was a kid. My brother, Dad and I would bundle up and pound the pavement. Hubby and I carry on the tradition now, and someday T. Bone and Lil Bit will come along for the turkey trot too.

No comments: