Thursday, October 22, 2009

14

Fourteen years ago yesterday was the day I married my love. I can still remember the happy happy day like it really was only yesterday. I know I am a bit biased, but it was one of the very best weddings E-V-E-R, and we have my Mom to thank for that. I have my hubby to thank for the double digit years we have spent together creating this life that makes me feel blessed to be a part of day after day.

Mine was a typical day as far as Wednesdays go. My hubby’s not so much as he was home sick in bed most of the day. I signed up to chaperone the annual trip to the pumpkin farm. I love field trips, pumpkins, hay rides, kindergartners, but I could have done without the mud. I was happy three of my charges had to use the potty upon arrival because I had not one, but two cups of coffee for breakfast. I had to laugh because one little boy soaped up his hands at the outdoor sink and then stood there singing Happy Birthday not once, but twice through. The irony was that then he submerged his hands in the icy cold water and minutes later was groping pigs and cows.

We loaded up the wagon for the hayride and set out to the patch. One of the Dad’s, an acquaintance for years, was kind enough to ask how my Mom was doing in the midst of many small ears. I couldn’t even answer him. I’m still struggling with saying the words. They, frankly, just escaped me, but he used the look that came over my face to gauge his response, “Oh, not so good.” That was that…the end of that conversation.

And after that I was thankful the wagon stopped. That is until the moment I stepped off only to be sucked into the digusting depths of the sticky, gooey mud. Thank you angels above for not letting me give up on my quest to buy Miss Bit boots Tuesday night. She absolutely needed them yesterday. We trudged around the patch getting muddier, and more miserable by the minute in search of the perfect pumpkin. Miss Bit needed one round as can be, T. sought out a B-I-G one, A. wanted one with a stem, N. did NOT want a muddy one (?), and little N. wanted one he could carry (?). Somehow I managed to make everyone happy and we were on our way back to the wagon when the tractor started up and off it went. I didn’t hear the part about how we were going to have to hoof it back to the bus carrying our loot. Just guess who ended up carrying all five pumpkins? I literally worked up a sweat and thought that my arms were going to fall off. (I hope the fall trip for first grade is the apple farm.)

Wouldn’t you know it…the sun started shining as soon as the bus got on the highway, and by the time we were back at school it was a balmy 65 degrees out. I spent the afternoon washing the mud off our boots and making Halloween cupcakes. After snack, T. Bone disappeared outside with his band of boys while Lil Bit and Miss O. joined me for crafts. The girls made the most adorable, imaginative Halloween cards adorned with thumbprint black cats, bats, spiders and pumpkins. The kitchen table was covered with glitter, colored glue, googley eyes, stickers and foamies…good stuff. Miss O. has always been quite the artist, and I love how Lil Bit looks up to, and tries to emulate and impress her older frister with her creations. She’s become quite the budding artist too.

My hubby felt well enough to join me in the kitchen to whip up some homemade spaghetti and meatballs for the anniversary dinner we enjoyed together as a family. I set the dining room table and lit the candles. We all toasted – the kids over Welch’s and the adults over Montepulciano – fourteen years. Fourteen fabulous years. Another great day. One very special evening. It all adds up.

No comments: