Monday, December 15, 2014

On My Mind Monday


  It contained some of my personal favorites such as:

 And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.
-John Steinbeck, East of Eden 
 
How wild it was, to let it be.
-Cheryl Strayed, Wild 

I wondered if that was how forgiveness budded; not with the fanfare of epiphany, but with pain gathering its things, packing up, and slipping away unannounced in the middle of the night.
-Khaled Hosseini, The Kite Runner

I would also add: 

Ships at a distance have every man’s wish on board. For some they come in with the tide. For others they sail forever on the horizon, never out of sight, never landing until the Watcher turns his eyes away in resignation, his dreams mocked to death by Time. That is the life of men. Now, women forget all those things they don’t want to remember and remember everything they don’t want to forget. The dream is the truth. Then they act and do things accordingly.
-Zora Neale Hurston, Their Eyes Were Watching God 
 
I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks.
-Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird 
 
Grief does not change you...it reveals you.
-John Green, The Fault in our Stars 
 
So this is reality, I thought.  It's hot and bare and permanent, it's broken and chipped and huge, it will last forever, even if it ruins, it will make you speechless.
-Susanna Kaysen, Cambridge 

Listen. To live is to be marked. To live is to change, to acquire the words of a story, and that is the only celebration we mortals really know. In perfect stillness, frankly, I've only found sorrow.
-Barbara Kingsolver, The Poisonwood Bible

 A single person is missing for you and the whole world is empty.
-Joan Didion, The Year of Magical Thinking

And I could go on and on because I love words and the feelings they convey when they are soulfully strung together, but I won't.