Friday, December 5, 2014

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

Curling up in bed last night to watch Peter Pan with Lily.  I wasn't particularly wowed by the production, but anything I do with Miss Bit is worth doing.

A quiet house tonight as I write.  Coach has taken Miss Bit riding and T. Bone is at ski club.

We've already made a sizable dent in our Christmas shopping.  Choosing just the right gifts in the spirit of the season.

Someone asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I couldn't come up with anything off the cuff.  I'm grateful to have all of what I need and most of what I want. 

Coach found the boots Ted wants.  Needs too.  Last winter he wore a 10.  He's a 13 now.  Most stores are already sold out of his size.  I'm a little flummoxed by that given that it is not even officially winter yet.

A house strung in white twinkling lights inside and out.

I spent all day Wednesday cleaning the house and then cleaning my car.  When I crawled in bed, I felt like I endured a tough workout, which I, more or less, did.

Peace in my city.

My bed flannel sheeted and usually occupied by two snuggly cats.

An electric bill that was less than budgeted despite record cold temperatures this November.

Simple family rituals that define our little life here at Casa Wags.  The holidays are rich with so many meaningful traditions that bring us all closer together.

Books and people who love them as much as I do.  One of Ted's friends told him the other day that he is a voracious reader and then he quipped, "Most people live 100 years, but readers live 100 lives."  I wanted to reach into the back seat and give him a hug so tickled was I by his words.  I will give A. a ride home any day!

Friendly people.  Kind people too.

Authenticity.  It is a word that is a bit overused now, but I haven't found a less liberally used one that resonates quite as deeply with me.  It's what I admire most in others, and what I strive for too.

St. Nicholas comes tonight.