Thursday, August 22, 2013

Happy Birthday To Me!


Yesterday was a really good day.  My Dad woke me up with happy birthday wishes pretty early.  Thanks to him after a single cup of coffee in my quiet house, I was out logging miles in the fresh air.  It was a perfect morning: warm, but breezy.  I forgot The Good House, so instead I listened to birds and bugs, and the thoughts in my head.  It's been awhile since I've walked without any ear bud distractions: I have missed the noise in my own head.  I walked fast and sweated profusely.  I felt great...certainly younger than my new age.

T. Bone, Miss Bit and I headed to the theater intending to see the new Percy Jackson.  The reel was in disrepair, so we decided on The Butler instead.  I was a little nervous given the PG-13 rating and the fact that Miss Bit is a new 9, but the Grandma selling the tickets assured me it was fine.  And it mostly was although I watched the movie on the edge of my seat worrying how far they would take things and also did my fair share of explaining.  T. Bone was up on all the events and notable characters as well as the historical context.  In the end, I felt as though the birthday Gods prevailed over the demigods.  We ate popcorn and Dots, my favorite, for lunch and I very much enjoyed The Butler.

I nixed lofty plans to go out for dinner.  I really just wanted to stay home especially since T. Bone had practice until 7:30.  I did not, however, want to cook so the boys stopped for burgers and custard in lieu of cake. The flavor of the 90 degree day...Banana Walnut Chocolate Chunk...is one of my favorites so it seemed like the thing to do.  Too bad I had no room after eating my delicious cheeseburger with extra pickles.

We gathered for cards and gifts and I was quite spoiled in the most thoughtful of ways.  T. Bone gave me a copy of Four Seasons.  It's a nostalgic favorite of mine I have watched many times.  Miss Bit gave me a most loved book that I've owned twice and both times given away.  I won't give this copy away because she inscribed it with sweet words.  Be still my heart.  Coach gave me a meaningful silver pendant necklace that says: be present.  He couldn't find be. here. now, but I like this just as much because it came from him and expresses the same sentiment by which I try and guide my life.  I was pretty touched. We played both my new word games.  Password was the most fun for all.

I went to bed exhausted and content.  I felt very special and cherished all day long in the company of those I cherish most, and that's all I need or want in any day.