Wednesday, August 21, 2013

44 Things About Me On My 44th Birthday

1) I have not been looking forward to turning 44.  I don't usually get emotional or overly excited about my birthday so this angst was causing me pause.  Then I remembered that 4 is my lucky number so that made me think that good things are in store for me in this year of double 4s.  Now I say..bring it on!

2) I've learned a great deal about myself in the past year, but I don't feel wiser yet.  Admitting and acknowledging personal truths is messy and uncomfortable.  It takes time to assimilate the newly acquired awareness.  I have a feeling that this will be a year of positive growth and extension for me, and I find that incredibly exciting.

3) After many ongoing personal inventories, I've finally realized that I have my dream job.  I have two beautiful people who call me Mom every day.  I know now that is all I ever wanted.  Any other titles or accomplishments will pale in comparison.

4) I collect heart-shaped rocks, clocks, coffee table books from places I have visited, Le Bien ornaments and Ws.

5) If I won the lottery, I would take care of the people in my life for life and then travel the world.  First stop would be Ireland.  Then on to Spain and Italy.

6) Nostalgia is a daily affliction I battle and one I will never conquer.  I invite it now because I realize my tendency to wistfulness and sentimentality makes me who I am.

7) I like my chicken and pork without the slightest trace of pink and my beef beet red.

8) I prefer small, intimate gatherings to large parties.  I find small talk arduous and exhausting.

9) I am not a big sushi fan, but I will usually try most anything.

10) Although I'm an English major, I ignore various grammatical conventions.  It's my blog...my choice.  I am a bit of a spelling nazi though.

11) If I had to chose between books and television, books would win hands down.  I love reading most of all.  I always have even though there are times I am a more voracious reader than others.  I rarely read the same book twice though, and that's because there are still so many titles I need to read once.

12) My favorite meal is an antipasto platter, a loaf of good bread and a nice bottle of wine.

13) I'm a lake girl.  The ocean is too scary and salty.  Pools are too chloriney and confining.

14) I usually pay bills right when I get them.  I hate...HATE owing people money.

15) I regret ever feeling self-satisfied about my perfect vision and straight teeth.  I can hardly read a word without cheaters now and both my kids have an orthodontist.

16) I despise flying now.  Instead I've become a big fan of road trips.  I came of age in the day of dressing to the nines to board an airplane.  It was something special and passengers were pampered.  Now it is a hassle without any comfort...not even a single peanut...and little civility.  Oddly though, flying doesn't scare me.  I figure if we go down, we all go up.

17) I love scary movies best.  Not slasher films, but ghosts and aliens.

18) I believe in ghosts and aliens.  Aliens as in life on other planets and in other universes.

19) I cannot tell a joke.  I have terrible delivery and never remember punch lines.

20) I am thinking about becoming a vegetarian.  I love meat, but I have very conflicted feelings about eating animals.  I was a vegetarian for about a year in my early 20s so I know I can do it.  I question if I can do it with a family now.

21) I have the secret for the best baked potatoes.  Rub the skins of well scrubbed potato with EVOO and sea salt.  Bake at 400 degrees for an hour.  If I were to become a vegetarian, I would eat lots of these potatoes and also pounds of cheese.

22) I am a real housewives addict.  I'm not proud that I find these spoiled, narcissistic mean girls entertaining, but alas...I do.

23) One day I would like to have a vegetable garden.  Miss Bit would love that too.

24) Saying one day kind of scares me now because my some days are more numbered with each passing year

25) I don't check my voice mail sometimes for weeks.  I'm not being rude, but I forget that I have it.

26) Getting exercise greatly elevates my outlook on life.

27) Getting enough sleep too.  I find myself envious of people who can get by on so little.  As I age, I need more.

28) I consider a good egg a poached egg.

29) This is harder for me than I anticipated.

30) I'm a horrible liar.  I pretty much am an open book when it comes to thoughts, feelings and opinions too.

31) I think there is nothing worse than feeling judged.  I am trying not to stand in judgement of others...trying to not be quick to judge.  Ala do onto others.

32) Nothing frustrates me more than passive aggressive people.  I'd much rather you cut to the chase and then own it.

33) Hiking is one of my favorite ways to spend a day.  Hiking with my family.

34) I sleep with a fan 365 days of the year.  I need the white noise and the air disturbance.

35) One dead of night when we were in Mexico, I woke up and felt like I was being watched.  I went to the patio slider and looked out at a nearby high rise.  There was a man staring straight into our room from his patio.  His eyes were glowing.  I shut the door and the curtain, and crawled back to into bed sure I was seeing things.  Some time later Coach woke me in a state of fright and Coach always keeps his cool.  He saw green hazy mist emanating from my mouth and claimed I was talking in tongues.  In the morning our room was filled...FILLED with flies ala Amittyville Horror.  We pulled back the curtain only to discover the slider was cracked from floor to ceiling. We were very  happy to be heading home that day.

36) Yes.  Tequila was involved.  Maybe copious amounts.

37) I used to love roller coasters and now I wonder why.

38) I write everything down.  EVERYTHING!

39) I'm really starting to get excited about gutting our kitchen despite the fact that sometimes I just want to move instead.  I don't like chaos or mess or decisions, but I like to cook and believe that the kitchen is the heart of the house.

40) My personal mantra is be. here. now.

41) I know if my Mom were here she would be proud of me.

42) My Dad was the first person to call me this morning to wish me a happy day.  He woke me up.  That was a gift.  Now I will go out and get my dose of endorphins before the heat of the day descends.

43) Coach and I went to a movie last night.  It was a toss up between The Conjuring and Way Way Back.  Way Way Back won only because we like the Oriental Theater better than the burbs.  After the movie, we walked on the beach admiring the full moon.  It was a blue moon.  Blue moons aren't actually blue.  It's what they call the second full moon in a month.

44)  I'm looking forward to this happy day birthday and all!