Friday, August 30, 2013

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

Not giving into the urge I had at 5:30 this morning when I woke with a start and for good.  I read for a few minutes before it dawned on me that it was still dark out.  It seemed like a good and necessary idea to race to the beach before sunrise to welcome the new day.   Because I didn't want to disturb the rest of the still sleeping house, I hesitated and then I never left the couch.  I bailed.  After a cup of coffee, it occurred to me that I didn't miss anything.  I was visiting on the western shores of Lake Michigan where one would expect spectacular sunsets not sunrises.

I live on the eastern shores of Lake Michigan so any day that I choose to get up in the dark, I can venture to any number of deserted beaches and witness the new day born.  I have a rain check to do so soon.  This morning I realized that I don't have to be on vacation to salute the sun on the shore.  That sort of made me giddy with delight.

We're home now after a fast and fun few days on the other shore.  It was the almost last hurrah of the summer...there's still this weekend, of course.  I love getting away, but it's 100 percent true what Dorothy said, There's no place like home.

Home sweet home.

The boys (cat dogs) greeted us at the back door when we returned from our road trip.

Lots of quality family time this week.  Reconnecting while relaxing.  I especially enjoyed the sweet company of Miss Bit while the boys were off golfing in the mornings.  We swam, explored Grand Haven by trolley and on foot, went antiquing and decided it's not our thing, ate pronto pups and decided that they are, read side by side, climbed a sand dune...we just had fun, all of us...being together.

Pronto pups.  Hot dogs dipped in crepe batter, essentially, fried and then painted in ketchup and mustard.

Small towns.

Lake towns.

Resort towns.

My aunt and uncle for welcoming us into their small town, lake town, resort town cottage 65 miles across the lake or 5 hours around it.  This time we went around.  They showed us such a fine time.  We already have activities planned for next year.

5 pounds of perfect Michigan blueberries.  I should have bought 10.

Toy stores.  Finds at the uber cool MacKite store.  She came home with two new pets: Bob and Jerry. They are African Dwarf Frogs and they can live for up to 4 years.  Let's just hope they are both boys.  T. Bone picked out a Waboba Pro, which is a bouncy ball on steroids for the water.  The family has a new game called Spot It.  I am a sucker for pets and games and really anything since I figure my toy store stops are numbered.

Classics.  The kids finally got to see Field of Dreams on one leg of our road trip. They both loved it.  Miss Bit a tad more than T. Bone.  Miracle got the big thumbs up too.

That I no longer get sick while reading in the car. I finally finished Flight Behavior.  I cannot recommend it and that  truly saddens me because Kingsolver's, The Poisonwood Bible is one of my favorite reads.  The narrative was overpowered by the eco/political slant.  It was often heavy handed and preachy.  The ending irritated me and I'll leave it at that.

The oral tradition.  My Uncle was telling old family stories.  What a cast of characters, but aren't they all?  Families that is.

Meals enjoyed out that inspire duplication.  I will be recreating last night's BLT flat bread and also my cream of asparagus soup.

Being away from the blog for the last week.  It's good to be off the grid for awhile.  I missed it, but not enough to make time for it.  Facebook on the other hand never crossed my mind and I'm thinking about closing my account.

A day at our favorite little lake last weekend.  The kids each brought friends and had a great time all day long.

Frisbee on  the beach.

Sun kissed cheeks and bleached blond hair.  I'm even grateful for my raccoon eyes!

Girls night out tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to time with the girls.

Happy 110th Harley Davidson.  The city is abuzz this weekend in celebration of this great and iconic American company.