Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Countdown Is On

It's almost 10:00, and still my house is quiet.  Last night was another midnight night.  So much for making the transition to earlier bedtimes.  We're on task for a day or two and then we revert to our latent summer ways.  Miss Bit and Coach had an evening tennis date.  T. Bone was at football practice until almost 8 so we didn't sit down for dinner until almost 9 o' clock.  We would make very good Europeans.

And speaking of Europeans, my new night owl ways have led me down the path of the afternoon siesta.  I find myself enjoying a little late afternoon quiet time to read or Ruzzle until I drift off in front of the fan for fifteen or forty minutes.  It is life changing...or at least day changing.  I wake up physically refueled and mentally refreshed.

At this point, I'm tempted to carry on free form the next couple weeks, stock up on wine and brace for the first week of back to school to be hellish. That's realism...not denial. I'm simply admitting that I'm not a disciplined drill sergeant and also that I reject the role of naysayer. They know what's coming.  They don't need me buzzing in their ears like a blood thirsty mosquito zapping the joy out of these end of summer days.

This is going to be a summer they are going to miss.  Me too.