Monday, June 4, 2012

A Squirrel Story



This is Little Red and Littler Red.  Littler Red was born this spring.  Since he (or perhaps, she) arrived, he has made his home in the treetops of our yard.  He is quite comfortable with us humans and doesn't even mind our gawking felines who would really like to feast on him.  When he's hungry, he comes and sits on this wooden perch and stares at the house.  I usually cannot resist his cuteness for long and end up bringing out sunflower seeds or fruit or nuts thus turning the erstwhile birch into a wooden buffet.  I laugh thinking that I have him trained, and then I realize that really he has me trained.  Well, me and my Bit.  Tonight while I was out for a walk with her dad, she dumped out most of an almost full jar of peanuts for Little and Littler. Those two squirrels ate and ate and ate until I thought for sure they would explode cuz' you know nuts are the potato chip of the squirrel world.  As far as I know, they are in deep food coma having nut nightmares, but I'm quite sure they will be waiting for me as soon as the sun comes up tomorrow.

No comments: