Friday, June 8, 2012

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

The de ja vu I am experiencing as I sit here with my cats, coffee and computer on the first day of summer vacation.  The house is quiet...the kids are still sleeping.  We have no solid plans.  No musts.  Few shoulds.

It was a whirlwind week.  T. Bone had 3 tests, 2 ball games and 1 cow's eye dissection before his day of fun yesterday.  Miss Bit came home with a backpack full of stuff at the end of each day and a mounting sadness over parting from Miss Z.  This sadness was amplified by the fact that she is soon moving far away for family reasons.  I think every little piece of the classroom Miss Bit keeps in some way makes her feel like she has a part of this teacher she so adores.  She cried on the way to school, and I had to practically pull her off of Miss Z. with a crowbar when it was time to go.  She was all "Just one more hug."  It seriously broke this mama heart when she coined a new word for the way she was feeling: angcited - angry that she won't be able to visit Miss Z. for hugs next year and excited for summer.  A stop at the playground across the street from T. Bone's school did bring a few smiles to her face.  She's been asking to play there all year.  A double scoop at the ice cream parlor prolonged the joy.


Apparently Little Red had numerous Littler Reds.  Perhaps even 3!


This Caprese Pasta dish is the perfect meal for a summer's night.  I tripled the sauce and will add at least another cup next time.  Next time I'll also add more tomatoes and more basil.  I always add more cheese.


Some may consider clover a weed, but I think that the way it is growing around my Irish garden stone is rather serendipitous.  I give the sweet little clovers a hundred thousand welcomes.


The cats spend every waking moment perched at the patio doors surveying the yard.


This is the view when you open the door to come in.


This girl's heart, soul and smile.


Boys who aren't afraid to sing.  This boy's confidence, charisma and character.


The Mets sufferred their first loss this week.  It was a very tight game, but the number 2 team prevailed.  T. Bone walked up to me after their team huddle and said, "It's actually kind of good we lost  and I'm OK with it."  I chimed in something about at least they lost to a worthy, tough and deserving opponent.  His retort: "Well, the Rangers would suck if they didn't have J.B."  OK then.  Sportmanship is a work in process.

Miss Z. shared a sweet conversation that she and Miss Bit had about their moms with me.  Miss Z. is moving to be closer to her mom because she is her best friend.  Miss Bit told her she understood because her mom is her best friend.  And I understand because my mom was my best friend.  Then Miss Z. told me she thinks we're all going to stay good friends.

Jumping for joy because it's summer and the weekend.  Life is good.



No comments: