Friday, June 29, 2012

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

Last night Coach and I collapsed on adjacent couches after our final baseball game this week. We watched Water for Elephants. I thought the Hollywood version did the book justice. I agreed with the casting (especially Pattinson) and thought that they were able to portray the difficulty of life during the Depression and in the circus. I was also thankful that they lightened up some of the themes as it had been a long day.

Finally happening upon a new name for hubby, which always just seemed so ordinary.  He will from here on out be referred to as Coach on this here my blog.


The boys (all 36 of them) appeared to have much fun in last night's All Star game.  They were joking and tricking and more intent on enjoying the game than winning it.

Saying Yes.  When I went to pick T. Bone up from a post championship game gathering of guys, I said yes to joining the hosts on the patio for a glass of wine.  I was tired, it was 10:00, it was a school work night, but it was also a beautiful night.  It's been a challenge for me lately to say yes, instead of no thanks...next time.

I finished Blood, Bones & Butter.  I would recommend it to anyone who likes a good memoir, but I have to confess that it started stronger than it finished.  I wanted more.  More background, more information, more insight, vulnerability and candor.  She only touched the surface of her eccentic upbringing, her vagabond travels and her lonely marriage.  I was left slightly suspicious of her honesty, and I felt a little put off by the lack of responsibility for her role in her nonexistent interpersonal relationships.  At times I questioned her likability as narrator, yet I always was impressed with her as chef. 

I started The Underside of Joy yesterday.  I got right into it, and that's a good thing because I have to return it to the library in 7 days.

T. Bone called home just before midnight from a sleepover last night.  Coach was a little annoyed, but he went to get him nonetheless.  When my boy got home, he crawled into bed with me, flashed his baby blues and said, "I love you Mommy."  Yes...mommy!  Sometimes you just need your mom, want to be in your own home and sleeping in your own bed no matter how old you are.

The way Miss Bit and her neighbor friend A. have rekindled their friendship after a busy school year.  The girls go to different schools and are not in the same grade, but those are moot points these days.  The other day I overheard Miss Bit ask A. if she was on her cell phone speed dial.  A said, "You're #1."  You should have seen the smile on my girl's face.  We all just want to be someone's #1.

This girl ate her first ever sub this week...a meatball.  She liked it so much that she finished it before T. Bone polished his favorite (turkey, bacon and white cheese melted on Italian bread) off.  Then she declared that she couldn't wait to get another sub next time to which T. Bone pointed out, "Well, you've missed plenty of opportunities."

Miss Bit and I read beneath the trees on the trampoline the other afternoon. We took our books, pillows and popsicles and chilled out during the heat of the day. She requested we do just this every day.
Shade.  It's been so balmy even the squirrels are taking siestas in it.
 

Chlorine and goggles.  You should see some of the characters at the pool hence the need for chemicals and then protection.
Fun in the sun.  The kids are going to the pool again today. Rumor has it that there will be plenty of friends there too.

Firefighters.  Although my cousin who lives in Boulder, Colorado had to evacuate her house this week, her home was spared.

Vintage bobby pins.

A long weekend.  I'm footloose and fancy free until after the holiday.




No comments: