Wednesday, January 12, 2011

fragmented


These last few days have been fragmented, yet full.

big, fat, whirly, twirly snowflakes from morning until night.
the winter lover in me has been wanting more of the white stuff.
the heavy snow makes me feel all the lighter.

plump, purple blueberries that burst when you bite them.
berries of any and all varieties have been hard to come by recently.
finding these beauts and then finding them on sale was certainly serendipitious.

a couple of hours of lost time while the car was maintenanced.
i had my warm tea and my book and a view of the wonderland outside.
i had a much welcome exuse to do nothing, but to slow down and sip and read.

by the time i left, the snow-covered roads gave me the grounds i needed to simply go home.
home to bake and frost brownies for my boy's birthday treat a rather suspect request from the non-chocolate lover of the family.
home where i made a pot of steaming soup.
home where i curled up with a cat on either side of me to finish my book in the comfort of my nest where the tears could freely flow.

kefir smoothies by morning and hot cocoa by night.
my mom's spicy gingerbread topped with cinnamon cream for dessert and homemade waffles for breakfast.
furry slippers, fuzzy afghans, wool hats and best of all...warm hearts.
the crackle and pop of the logs in the fireplace as the flames dance in improvisation.
a houseful of family gathered round...first the football game and then the dining room table.

dreaming of a home with no neighbors high on a hilltop despite the fact that our's are just fine.
thankful for the visitors who pass through the yard.
today it's the hawk hawking on the high wire and little red running himself ragged on the perimeter.
prints in the fresh snow reveal the coyote has been in our midnight midst.

plans to sled after school.
my girl beyond herself excited to whiz down the hill a pink blur.
my boy cannot wait to get a pair of ice skates and inquires daily about whether he should get a 7 or an 8.
shoveling snow so light we could sweep it... a welcome home surprise for daddy after a long day.


a family date night to the theater for dinner and a movie and then for church the next day.
a date with just my hubby for breakfast.
a date to just dance with my girl who has some serious moves.
a date with myself to watch a movie after everyone else was snug in their beds.


just saying no thank you, later, tomorrow, let me think about it.
and saying yes absolutely, right now, today.
seeing, feeling, hearing, tasting and smelling all that is good in life.
knowing i have enough...knowing i am enough.



No comments: