Friday, July 8, 2016

Grateful Friday

There's much to be grateful for since I last checked in here. We've had a good couple weeks and a stellar start to summer. Not without its kinks, but I'm not one to let the quest for perfect ruin perfectly good, and tonight I need to focus on the joy moments and bright spots.


Today I give thanks for...

Baseball. I just came from Ted's last JV game of the season. The Knights ended strong with two wins.  He pitched and caught. Tonight the game was called in the 5th inning because of the out-of-line behavior of the opposing team's coach. We were at the field for another half hour while our boys participated in an impromptu home run derby not quite ready to bid adieu to the season. Tomorrow he rejoins varsity for the playoffs, but I'm pretty sure he'd rather golf. Someday he'll realize what kudos it is to be playing varsity as a freshman. And he's got the rest of the summer to golf although cross country starts bright and early Monday morning. Should be fun.



Golf. I'm grateful for golf too. It got him out of bed before noon several times in the past couple weeks. He makes his own tee times and then rides his bike to the course a mile away. He's played with boys his age, men older than his grandfathers, and ladies too...most of them strangers. Then after he gets lunch from the club house, he bikes home just in time for baseball. It's the most initiative he takes these days in the days he should be taking more and more, but I'll take what I can get.




Camp. Lily came home from camp today, burst through the door and said, "I'm so glad you made me take this camp! It's so fun!" She's got one more week of acting camp much to her delight. Mine too. The two weeks prior she did another camp she also raved about that involved baking, art and you tubing. It's hard being a working mom with kids preteen and teen-age. In a perfect world, I'd have the summer off with them, but, of course, the world isn't perfect. What is perfect is that I have a flexible part-time job that allows me to be chauffeur, cook and cash machine most of the time. 

Softball. She's at the tail-end of her season and still improving. She's a decent pitcher and a strong first base woman...both positions are good for her confidence. I love how she has an understanding of the game beyond her level of play thanks to the years spent in the stands watching her brother play. That's going to make her an even smarter player as her skills continue to evolve.



Dinners al fresco and by lantern light combined with the light of the moon. It's true our backs are to the lake, but we can still hear it.



Cousins. Brother sister teams for backyard baseball.


Grandparents. Grandpas who drive through rush hour traffic to cheer the grandkids. As soon as my Dad showed up last week, she made all 3 outs in the inning. This week My in-laws came to 4 games: 2 for him and 2 for her. That makes for some very lucky players. 


Family. His, mine, ours.


Paychecks. He earned his fist official check. It was only double digits, but at least it's something. (His goofy smile is because he thinks it's ridiculous I insisted on a picture.)


Cat candids. I realize I'm a broken record, but I love these two furbabies so much. We all do. Peanut had a couple bouts of sickness, but he seems to be well now for which I am eternally grateful. 


Showy skies. Again I'm tending toward redundancy, but I cannot help it. The other night I had to take Teddy to a friend's after his game at 9 o'clock. I was cranky that his night was just getting started as mine was in rapid decline. On the way home, my favorite UB40 song came on the radio. I haven't heard it in years...maybe decades, but singing along it brought me back to that time in my life when nights were still young long after the sun had set.


Freedom and July 4th celebrations. We hosted our second annual last weekend and it was a great day into night. This year we did a traditional bbq with a hot dog bar and beef brisket my dad smoked all night, yard games and fireworks. 



No one was hurt.

No comments: