Friday, November 27, 2015

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

It is the day after Thanksgiving.  Yesterday started out stellar: coffee, books, cat cuddles and parade watching with my best girl, a walk with my guy even though it was soggy, and delicious turkey dinner over the river and through the woods with family.  But something was off with me...for me, and it wasn't just missing my Mom or her zucchini casserole.  While I didn't feel downright sad, I didn't feel very sociable either.  Some holidays...some days...are like this and it's best to move on.

Early mornings.  I was the first to rise this morning.  I curled up on the couch to finish Fates and Furies.  Mathilde is a textbook emotional vampire...the kind of character I love to hate. Then I started a couple new books while I waited for the rest of my family to wake.  All day I've returned when I've had a few free minutes to read a story or chapter.

A lazy day.  It's been cold and grey.  Still is.  Perfect for reading and writing and snuggling and snoozing.

Bindi won.  Finally watched the last episode today. What a class act she is for such a young woman.

Mike for taking Lily shopping today on dreaded Black Friday.  She was in the market for a new lap top.  While I'm not sure she really needs one, she's been saving her dog sitting earnings to buy one, and it was a goal we were proud to watch her patiently, proudly achieve.

Teddy has a standing shoveling job for our neighbor.  She called after her interaction with him the other day to thank us for raising such a kind young man.  She just wanted to tell us how respectful and fair he was. 

Hardworking, responsible children.

Loving too.  Lily penned the most thoughtful letter to us detailing why she is so grateful for her family.  

A little Christmas spirit today.  Frasier fir candle, egg nog latte, a wee shopping.  The extent of my shopping was a stop at Pier One for my favorite Li Bien ornaments and Trader Joe's for boxwood wreaths.  The ornament I wanted for Lily was already in short supply and I got the last two wreaths.  

My uncle is on the road to recovery after extensive heart surgery.

My aunt invited me and Lily over tomorrow to bake cookies since we don't exactly have a baker's kitchen right now.  I'm not sure we'll be able to take her up on the offer, but I very much appreciated her thoughtfulness.

Lily tried and liked Brussels sprouts the other night.  She asked to try them and then she asked for more.


No comments: