Saturday, December 29, 2012

Today


Today

Today I'm flying low and I'm
not saying a word.
I'm letting all the voodoos of ambition sleep.

The world goes on as it must,
the bees in the garden rumbling a little,
the fish leaping, the gnats getting eaten,
And so forth.

But I'm taking the day off.
Quiet as a feather.
I hardly move though really I'm traveling
a terrific distance.

Stillness.  One of the doors
into the temple.

- Mary Oliver


Today I'm lying low and I'm watching the world turning white around me.
Snow has been falling all morning.  It's pristine, peaceful and perfect.
I have a clear head for the first time in many days and a quiet house.
The boys are celebrating T. Bone's birthday at a Badger basketball game.
Miss Bit and I are snuggling in and watching A Christmas Story.
When it's over, we'll shovel ourselves out and head for dinner with family.
I haven't left the house or gotten dressed in five days.
There are many things begging to be done,
but today is just not the day.



No comments: