Friday, November 30, 2012

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

The way this girl got excited to get a little decked out to go see Doc the Halls last night.  It's been awhile since I've seen her in anything aside from yoga pants and hoodies.


All the performers delivered.  Doc Severinsin showed up in a glittery red suit and was impressive on his French horn.  His guest, Vanessa Thomas, sang a couple solos that were show stopping.  The symphony, especially the handbell ensemble, was delightful, and the chorus such a treat.  T. Bone's choir teacher is in the chorus and so it was fun for him to be in her audience for a change.  I especially was moved by the performances of Gesu' Bambino and the Hallelujah Chorus.


An impromptu night out for dinner Monday.  It's a hard night to say yes, but it's hard to say no to Aunt Jess, and in hindsight, I'm very thankful I didn't.  We had sushi, which I don't eat often, but I'm enjoying it more and more.  Especially the spicy salmon.  Mmmm...like butter.  Beyond being wined and dined, it was worth it to meet one of her friends who was visiting from Texas.  As I drove home, I felt the chi.

I was bit by the decorating bug this week, but only after the clean and purge bug left.  I spent Tuesday and Wednesday  
sorting, tossing, scrubbing and scouring.  I have to say it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!!!

Christmas lights.  I prefer white.

I finished trimming the tree in my dining room.  I put all my Mom's ornaments on it.  It's emotional for me.    The tree...it's a beaut just like her, and I get such a jolt of happiness every time it catches my eye in all it's radiant, glistening glory.

I picked up tickets for the Nutcracker today and made reserves for Breakfast with the big guy the day before.  I always feel buoyed up by the traditions that define December for me.  The experiences bring me the purest joy.

I decided to skip sending cards, cut my holiday baking in half and pare down the shopping considerably.  I am listening to my limits and honoring my needs, and I'm not the least bit sorry for it.

This morning I did it.  I switched to all Christmas music all the time.  For the first time of the season I listened to The Holly and The Ivy.  It's one of my favorites especially sung by Natalie Cole.  I cried, but not because I was sad.  I cried because I was awed.  That's how I feel every time I listen to that carol.  OK many carols. Do you have a carol that you never tire of?  I'd love it if you would share.  Please.

Aunt Jess is on her way with some wine.  It's Friday and the whole weekend is before me...us.

Advent starts this weekend.  Welcome December.  I believe that I am now finally ready for you.

Happy Merry Weekend one and all.






No comments: