Sunday, November 4, 2012

Day is Done


 We drove home today at the same time we drove up the peninsula a couple days ago.  This photo's not much, but it does show that the sun was on the decline....on the rapid decline.  Day is done, gone the sun takes on a poignant meaning at this time of year.  There were hints of barns, suggestions of silos and silhouettes of trees and animals.  When we traveled north days earlier, the landscape was illuminated brilliant in a fiery late afternoon light.  A quick break in the many patches of tall pines and firs that lined the roadway like soldiers revealed one of the bays in all its late day glory.  The hills surrounding the water were so beautifully glowing they looked like they could spontaneously combust.  I tried to take a picture, but by the time I was ready, we had moved on.  I wanted to capture the image because what I saw gave me such a sensation of hope and happiness.  I wanted to share it here and bring you the same warm, cozy feelings.  Sorry, but you'll just have to take my word for it. 

We passed that bay several times over the course of the weekend and every time I would say or think and muse, This is where it looked like Heaven on earth the other day.  This is where I glimpsed and then grasped the absolute joy and privilege of living this life.  It was one of those rare, electric, unforgettable moments when all feels right with the universe and I find myself so filled to the brim with gratitude for everything and everyone.

Sadly our vacation has come to an end, but I'm living in the afterglow of a wonderful weekend shared with family.  After some rest and processing, I'll be back to share my time there here.  It's what I do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

re-entry is always hard. so glad you're still glowing from the memory of it all - means it was extra special :)