Saturday, November 17, 2012

Memories and Music

During yesterday morning's commute, I listened to a cd I mixed for our trip to Power's Lake four long short years ago.  It was the last vacation we spent with my Mom so the memories of that week are bitterly sweet.  I almost turned the radio on out of fear that going back there would be a bad way to start the day.  Music is powerful like that.  A song can take me back years or even decades in such sucker punching or soul resounding ways.

The first song was Earth, Wind and Fire's September.  Do you remember the 21st night of September?  It was the star because it was my Mom's signature song.  Her birthday was the 21st day of September.  I smiled as I remembered her 50th birthday.  She hosted a dinner at her favorite French restaurant.  Friends from all five of her decades and family were seated around the table to celebrate her, and she was literally glowing.  Our hearts were ringing...In the key that our souls were singing...As we danced in the night.  There was no dancing, but it was a great one.  No one could throw a party like my Mom.  Two nights later Coach, my brother and I threw her a surprise 50th.  The same cast of characters attended and then some, but her party is the one I best remember.  No one deserved two parties for the same birthday more than my Mom.  We gave her a signed print by an artist she loved.  It hangs in my foyer now, and I think of her whenever I see it.  I'm pretty sure that gift surprised her as much as the encore party.  My thoughts are with you...holding hands with your heart to see you.

During Cold Play's Yellow,  I got serious shivers when I sang along to, look at the stars...look how they shine for you...and everything you do even though I was looking at the sun basking on the lake making it appear to be liquid gold.  I swam across...I jumped across for you.  I'll never forget seeing this song live.  Watching Chris Martin on stage was a moving experience and not just because he is a ball of energy...but because he is so passionate about his music and performing that you cannot help but know it is a privilege to be in the audience, to witness it, to be a part of it.

While listening to Billy Joel's You're My Home, I remembered a card I made Coach depicting these very lyrics when we first moved in together after college.  I was excited and scared.  Well I never had a place that I could call my very own...that's all right my love cuz you're my home.  Our one bedroom apartment was $450 a month.  My closet was in the front hall and nowhere near big enough.  When the front door was open, you could see right into the bathroom, but still it had it's charm.  The living room featured lots of French windows that opened up to let in fresh air and an abundance of light, and two couches that were always occupied by our friends on the weekends.  Two ugly couches that looked like Impressionist masterpieces gone horribly wrong, but they were in our budget and brand new.  Our pad was a block from the park we loved to run in and less a mile from my Mom.  Well I'll never be a stranger and I'll never be alone...wherever we're together that's my home.

Steely Dan's Hey Nineteen put me on a futon in my brother's eatside apartment on a fall night.  Sweet things from Boston so young and willing.  My baby brother just moved back from Madison and knew nothing yet of his imminent move to Boston.  Hey Nineteen That's 'Retha Franklin She don't remember the Queen of Soul...She thinks I'm crazy but I'm just growing old. Or at least growing up.  We drank cocktails and wine not beer out of mismatched bar glasses and played a raucous game of Balderdash not quarters or chandeliers.  It was so warm and cozy to have him home and living  in the same city again.

Love is the game at least for most of the questions in my heart...why are we here? and where do we go? and why are we so hard?  It's the most gorgeous summer night for a concert and I'm enjoying it with Coach and of course, Jack Johnson.  I have no questions tonight because I am lost in the lyrics, the music, the breeze and the stars.  And all of these moments just might find their way into my dreams tonight but I know that they'll be gone when the morning light sings or brings new things for tomorrow night you see that they'll be gone too, too many things I have to do.  Nothing to do right now, but sing and sway.  See those moments, they aren't gone.  I remember them like they were yesterday and I can hear and feel them today.  I'll never forget Paula Fuga taking the stage alongside Jack to sing Country Road and strum her ukulele.  What's meant to be will always be though I control my destiny.  I have been connected to that line from the first time I heard it and it was a gift to hear it live.

Just before I made my way downtown, I heard his horns and then Stevie Wonder started to sing, music is a world within itself with a language we all understand...with an equal opportunity for all to sing, dance and clap their hands.  Sir Duke makes me smile.  From my vantage point on the bridge, I could almost see the stage where I heard him sing this song live almost 4 1/2 years ago.  It was a sweaty July night.  I was with my Mom and my frister singing, dancing and clapping our hands.  It was the last concert I attended with my Mom. It feels like just yesterday.  Can't you feel it all over...come on let's feel it all over people...you van feel it all over...everybody - all over people.

Do you have any songs that move you with memories?

1 comment:

Lady Cordelia said...

Beautiful. We have the same taste in music. There are so many songs I love so dearly...and yet, when I go to put music on, I can never figure out what I want and end up listening to old jazz.
Love to you inside those memories of your mother. I can't imagine...
XO
C