Monday, July 30, 2012

On My Mind Monday

Suffering and despair force you to plumb the depths of the human heart in a way normal life can't.  It makes us wise beyond our years.
* Mary Karr
Sadly, I finished Cherry today and I've no more Mary Karr to curl up with.  Her second memoir had me laughing more often than crying, but there was heaviness looming at times and it inspired much self-reflection always.  Her early childhood, as told in The Liar's Club, was scary sad.  Her post adolescent account (Lit) was unsettling to say the least. This telling resonated with the erstwhile teenager in me.  Sometimes I catch the Peter Pan syndrome and wish I never had to grow up, but I never look longingly on a repeat of my adolescence.  And what scares me most about my children entering that stage of their lives is the feeling that seems to take over teenage minds. You know?  That feeling that they are wise beyond their years, that adults know nothing and understand even less.

Now I will embark on Patricia Hampl's Virgin Time.  If anything I'm drawn to it because I feel like I can benefit wisely from a more contemplative life.

Six down from  my list.  

No comments: