Friday, July 6, 2012

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

the festive, fun-filled fourth of July week.  Let's face it when the holiday falls in the middle of the week, celebrations start before and last after the actual event.  That's all good though because America's birthday is ample cause for the bash of all bashes.  Truth be told, our weekend blended right into the start of the week and then through it.  Kind of like the blistering hot weather front that moved in, pitched a tent and decided to stay awhile.  To beat the heat Tuesday, we packed up (friends, coolers, plenty of sunscreen) and spent the sweaty day at the lake.  Aunt Jess and I placed our chairs in the water and alternately read or chatted, but always stayed cool.  No one seemed to mind that the subs were soggy, or the cupcakes melted because the water was refreshing.  So refreshing that I was shocked too see my van report it was 102 degrees outside when we started the trip home.







I couldn't wait to de-sand in the shower, get some aloe on my sunburn and curl up in bed to finish The Underside of Joy.  I didn't love this book, but it qualifies as a good beach read.  There was a whole lot of build up, yet it never delivered.  I actually felt as though Halverson tired of writing this mid-way and sort of just trudged through.  I know I tired of reading it halfway, yet felt compelled to finish.  The characters were underdeveloped, static and unbelievable. The story, although entertaining at times, was always predictable.  I still find it hard to believe that Halverson has children because Annie and Zach sounded like teenagers not toddlers.  I'm into Cherry now.  I just know Mary Karr will not disappoint cuz' I know Mary...we're old friends.


We were up early on the 4th and rushing around to make it to Maybury where we were watching the parade.  I justified giving the kids red, white and blue cupcakes for breakfast since it was America's birthday.  I thought about, but did not actually light candles and join them in song.  By the time we walked the 1/2 mile from our friend's house to the spot they had staked out for us the night before, I was sweating so profusely I couldn't enjoy much of the 2 hour parade.  I was thankful for the shade and the icy, numbing drink.  The kids were troopers who still lined up in the sun to swipe the melting candy that was thrown in their direction.  I spent the rest of the day in my friend's air conditioned house watching the kids have water fights to keep cool.  The boys...my boys...met Uncle B. Bone for 9 holes in the heat of the day (they're called die hards among other things) and then returned just in time to help themselves to plates of some of the best ribs we've ever had.  T. Bone had only one thing to say: "Uncle P. is a cool guy and he CAN cook!"  We were too spent to stay for fireworks, but on the way home the sky lit up in every direction and we oohhhed and ahhhed at the impressive patriotic displays.






The kids are still trying to stay cool today at the pool.  I'm hopeful that the weatherman is right this time and we get the relief from the heat they've been promising. 

It's been a good week and I'll be most grateful if the weekend delivers more of the same.

No comments: