Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Daybook -January, 2012

Outside my window...I can literally see what little snow we have melting under the gaze of the sun. The critters are scurrying all around the yard awake and alive. It may be January 31st, but it looks more like the end of March from here.
I am thinking...about how I wish I didn't agree to work today. How I'd rather be home to plan, shop and start preparing for my girl's gathering this weekend. I'm such a creature of habit...I don't like deviation, let alone change. I think it's good to know these kinds of truths about myself. To accept them. To honor them.
I am thankful...that I am being conscious of my innerspeak and careful not to belittle myself or label myself.
In the kitchen...I have little inspiration when it comes to making breakfasts and lunches lately. My kids don't eat cereal. My daughter won't eat bread. It has become somewhat of a challenge to please their palettes, while also meeting nutritional needs. The whole dogged process leaves me feeling like a ragged short order cook.
I am wearing...my favorite sweatshirt and my favorite pair of lounge pants - they were my Mom's.
I am creating...a menu, a shopping list and an itinerary.
I am going...to throw in a load of laundry, feed the fish and make sure that my son is awake. I will make him breakfast, kiss him goodbye, hand my hubby his smoothie and kiss him too. I will wake my daughter, let her wear whatever she wants today because I don't have it in me to barter and negotiate this morning, dry my hair, fix her hair, make her breakfast, and make our lunches while she eats and we chat. I will get dressed, feed Little Red, give the cats a treat and drive her to school. I will bite my tongue when people skip the line of cars waiting to drop-off kids and sneak in front. I will kiss my girl and wait to wave not once but twice as she makes her way to the door.
I am wondering...what would it feel like to have nothing to do, and then if I'd really want to know?
I am reading...Don't Let's Go To The Dogs Tonight, a memoir by Alexandra Fuller. It's easy to pick up and to put down. I like books like that. I need books like that.
I am hoping...for a short, fast week and a long, lingering weekend, and yes it's only Tuesday.
I am looking forward to...tomorrow when it will be life as normal, a fun evening with the ladies this weekend and the paralyzing snowstorm I know is in our future.
I am hearing...the morning news. Frustrating stories of stupidity and senseless stories of sadness.
Around the house...there is much to do before a little soire, but I love this part.
I am pondering...getting from point a to point b. Today it's not daunting...there's no rocket science required...just simple connect the dots. No question, I can do this.
A favorite quote for the day...
But in the glow of love, in the heat of battle, in the cushioned denial of the present, how few have the wisdom to look forward with unclouded hindsight. - Alexandra Fuller
One of my favorite things...starting my day off with time to write.
A few plans for the rest of the week...just the ordinary...the extraordinary ordinary: walks, talks, time together and time alone.

No comments: