Friday, January 6, 2012

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

A much needed blog break. A respite from this forum. I've been a bit nostalgic and introspective. In looking in and back, I realized I needed to keep some of my thoughts just for myself.

Back to the routine. Monday morning came as a rather rude awakening here at Casa Wags. Both kiddos felt downright assaulted by their alarms, but we survived the battle. This week I discovered the very best way to wake my sleeping beaut is to whisper a little warning in her ear so she knows that soon she has to come unsnuggled. Whether I come back in 5, 10 or 15 minutes, she wakes with a smile. (And if she finds the day's outfit favorable, she may even have a slight spring in her step too.) This morning T. Bone was up before my alarm sounded singing and smiling because after school he has ski club. He was so over the rising sun to try out his awesome new snowboard that I imagine he's skipping through his day.

Ramping up the mileage this week. I even went out for a quick couple miles last night while the rest of my family ran an errand. Let me tell you it helps to have a good book to listen to. I finally finished The Room. It wasn't my favorite. It wasn't particularly well-written although it was interesting. Now I'm on to The Story of Edgar Sawtelle. I can already tell 4 chapters in that I am going to like this novel so much more.

Back to meal planning this week too. Crockpot bbq chicken and almost as good as Bruegger's breakfast sandwiches according to and inspired by T. Bone on this week's menu. The chicken was delish with the perfect baked taters. Here's how: Scrub Russet potato. Pierce 7 times with a fork. Rub with EVOO and then sea salt. Bake at 425 for 1 hour. You will eat the whole thing.

Mugs of hot cocoa with extra marshmallows and clouds of whipped cream even though we're still waiting for the cold and the snow in these parts.

Sharing crocks of sausage corn chowder and spicy tomato soup with friends during the Rose Bowl Monday night. It was a welcome start to the week. Of course, it could have been better with a Badger victory, but we are all still Bucky lovers here at Casa Wags as is evidenced by this Fathead that will soon adorn T. Bone's bedroom/locker room wall!

There's always room for two no matter how cozy the spot. We're seeing much more of this these days.

No more Christmas cookies or leftover birthday cupcakes or buttery scones or homemade donuts or hot out of the oven cheese danish for breakfast. Back on the menu are smoothies and cereal and anything whole or whole grain.


Even without her two front teeth, this girl can still tackle an ear of corn.



Resolve. I've really strayed from stating very specific resolutions at the start of the new year. Let's come clean...we all know that they usually aren't manifested. The minute we divide our wants, desires and dreams into shoulds and should nots we set ourselves up for inevitable failure. Instead I look at the big picture and try to come up with an inspiring mantra that is flexible and all encompassing of the many areas in my life that I wish to change or improve. In 2012, I will be more present. Amen.


For this view on the first day of the new year.


A family movie date for the movies last weekend. The whole row of us gave We Bought A Zoo the big thumbs up. I cried through most of it...both the happy and the sad parts. It's just that kind of a film and I'm just that kind of a sap.


Miss Bit is already packed for her sleepover at her aunt and uncle's this weekend. She's just a wee bit excited.


No kids tonight so hubby and I will take a long walk in the almost spring-like air.


January...a month I so adore for the fact that it makes me feel like cocooning with my new books and newfound Pinterest, and I think I need to say no more.

No comments: