Friday, January 27, 2012

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

These two incredible kids and how much they teach me each and every day.

This week T. Bone had to write 3 paragraphs on 3 varying topics in addition to a great deal of other homework. That's a lot of writing for an active 11 year old. I was not always my best self in terms of being a model of patience or a muse of inspiration through this process. At one point my son looked at me, locked eyes and said, "You want me to write like I'm in college, but I'm only in 5th grade." I protested...I denied...and then I ruminated on his assertion. As I tucked him in last night, I told shared with him that writing has always been my preferred mode of expression and in a sense the written word has always come easily to me. It's what I've always been most passionate about in the same way that he loves and excells at any and every sport he has ever played. I confessed to him that he was right that perhaps my expectations were unreasonable and I assured him that he is a fine writer who makes me quite proud. I'll never forget the smile on his face when I spoke. And leave it to my 100%, all American athlete to spoil the sappy moment by saying ever so sweetly, "Yea Mom, what sport WERE you good at?"

Oh, and he can sing too.



I have my own editor who prefers I pet him instead of press the keys.




Back on track this week...eating more veggies, only the wholest of whole grains and little to no refined sugar. We don't even miss our holiday vices with meals like southwest chicken soup with cilantro and lime or lettuce wraps.




This 7 year old mastered the art of division with the help of her math loving daddy and she was really deservedly proud of her accomplishments. No, she was not wearing my glasses during her studies, but she agrees that she looks "cute in a nerdy way" with them on. I agree too.



My hubby for filling up my gas tank last week unbeknownest to me, and also that no one saw me get agitated trying to fill said full tank at not one, but two pumps before getting back in my car frustrated and obviously clueless that I didn't need gas.




T. Bone got another perfect score on another math test yet again this quarter.



The way Peanut asks me for hugs in the morning and how Tigger will make his bed on any item of clothing we leave lying around. Peanut has a new morning routine. He is glued to Miss Bit from the minute she gets up in the morning. He follows her to and fro the bathroom, her bedroom, the kitchen, right to the back door as we leave and it makes her feel just a little bit special.



Really sitting with the knowledge that there's no time like the present. Embracing that is life changing and, thus a tad scary.



Curling up on the couch with Miss Bit to read side by side. We read for 40 minutes before she even knew it. It reinforced for me the poignancy and power of leading by example.



Many miles this week and more to come.

No comments: