Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Lexicon

I sort of have a secret (call it clandestine) love affair (rendezvous) with language. I pine away after words. Some because of what they mean, others because of the way they sound, and many because of the feelings they evoke. Lexicon in one of my paramours. I can still remember the first time I was introduced to this 7 letter love of mine in high school. Mr. Huth let it roll off his tongue in the middle of English Lit. and I was straight away smitten with it's smart sound and resolute to never again resort to tired, stuffy old vocabulary.

I recently found myself in possession of Benke's Rip This Page, and I've been having fun with some of the exercises. We all know that juicy (another shoo in) words enhance the writing and reading experience. I'm opening the flood gates and spilling some of the apples of my eye and ear.


In no particular order and certainly not exhaustive or comprehensive...

gloaming
epic
pithy
poise
woe
tao
ego
coy
koi
essence
Godspeed
demur
dollop
hubris
bling
kismet
regatta
cerulean
crux
quirk
snarky
cheeky
kitsch
aplomb
anemone
maelstrom
halycon
kaleidoscope
verklempt
wanderlust
hullabaloo
hoi polloi
nebulous
maudlin
nuance
noodle
nexus
yawp
eureka
bon vivant
zephyr
siesmic
angst
alleluia
crimson
quip
quintessential
capisce
bliss
betwixt
aurora
grace
calypso
lacuna
chutzpah
muse
epiphany
peace
posey
uncanny
moniker
flapdoodle
sublime
utter
hap
whim
whir
malaise
adieu
frolic
limbo
azure
couth
gratitude
loamy
fauna
lea
bittersweet
cadence
kamikaze
sayonara
foray
flotsam
jetsam
clarity
meander
maverick
caterwaul
brouhaha
prophetic
bragadoccio
aficianado
cacophony
bouyant
lithe
antithesis
lodestar
doppelganger
panacea
panache
vevre
amen

No comments: