Sunday, March 14, 2010

In the Dark

We lost our power last night. I was actually woken from a sound sleep because the house was too quiet. Eerily quiet until my heart started thumping right out of my chest. The fan that whirs and vibrates from the corner of our room stopped mid-spin. At first I felt unable to move...paralyzed just like my fan. What is it about the dark that can fill me with such stifling fear? I mustered up the courage to get up...I pulled back the blind only to see that our whole block was pitch black. I felt a sense of relief. Relieved we weren't alone. I'm afraid of being alone in the dark. We're never alone though really, but without any light it's sometimes hard to remember that...to believe it.

This morning on my way to church I was struck by the Phantom's words when Music of the Night was the song in cue:

Night time sharpens, heightens each sensation
Darkness stirs and wakes imagination
Silently the senses abandon their defenses

Slowly, gently night unfurls its splendor
Grasp it, sense it, tremulous and tender
Turn your face away from the garish light of day
Turn your thoughts away from cold, unfeeling light
And listen to the music of the night.

No comments: