Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My Barbaric Yawp is Building


I should be sitting in the dentist office instead of at my laptop with another cup of coffee. I conveniently got the time wrong despite the fact that it was written in black and white (10:50) in my planner and I even listened to the appointment reminders they left in my voicemail this week and last week. I am not a big fan of the dentist although I do like nice looking teeth. I don't really know why...I haven't had a bad dental experience in eons and I very much like my new dentist and her staff. I'm not going to wax poetic on my irrational fear of drills and flouride. I'm simply going to accept my oversight for what it is...a gift. You know the gift of time. When suddenly your busy, crazy, scheduled to the hilt day opens up and is your's to make what you want of it. What you need of it. It really is a beautiful thing.

I haven't been shy about the fact that the last couple weeks were wretched. The strife and sadness really took its toll on me. Today feels like the calm before the storm. Tomorrow I need to start shopping and baking for our Easter brunch. It's a good storm though...I'm excited to have a house filled with guests, and a yard too if the 70 degrees they're predicting rings true. And then next week is Spring Break. I'm looking forward to a change in routine although I'm not foolish to think they'll be much relaxing down time.

The good thing though is that I'm starting to see the sun and not wince. I'm feeling its warmth and not shuddering. I'm thawing out. I'm done hibernating.

I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric yawp over the rooftops of the world.

  • Walt Whitman (Leaves of Grass)

No comments: