Friday, March 27, 2009

Lessons Relearned This Week

Look at the world through the eyes of the child that you once were..I just dropped my daughter off at school. Her class is spending this cold, dreary, early spring day at the zoo, and she could not be any happier. She loves animals. She loves the zoo, and it has been awhile (fall) since we have been. As we got closer to our destination she said, "My heart stopped beating. It's pounding, and my tummy feels so excited, so nervous!" Of course, I knew what she was talking about, but I had to really go back in the catacombs of my mind to remember a time when I felt that kind of anticipation. It is sad, but true that we adults seem to lose that awesome, all encompassing sense of wonder. I am so thankful that a simple trip to the zoo can totally rock my four year old's world!

Size doesn't matter...And this weekend, it was the really little things that caused a stir…Tic Tacs. Both my kids came to the grocery store with me just so they could get a "case." They never even asked for a cookie from the bakery because they were literally so thrilled to get not 1, but 3 "cases" of the little mints. (My 8 year old realized it was a much better deal to buy in bulk, and I simply could not let that lesson go unrewarded. Now that's what I call Everyday Math!) The whole way home in the car the two of them extolled the virtues of the candies… how they first taste of vanilla and then turn minty fresh, how they make your breath cool, how they wouldn't have to worry about running out any time soon (a fate worse than a chicken nuggetless or pizza free house), how they needed to hide them for safekeeping from robbers and friends (in that order). I was holding back the laughter and thinking that it was the first time in a long time that they agreed on much of anything! Here’s the thing…we have no shortage of candy in our house. In fact, I believe that we even have treats from last Easter. Forget Kit Kats or Jujus…Tic Tacs rule! I had 1...actually 2, as they both insisted they wanted to share with me...and they are right! We adults tend to think bigger (Life Savers) or stronger (Altoids) are better, and we miss out on some of life's tinier treasures.

Cherish time together...We went out to do a little shopping mid week, me and my girl, and we ended up in a children’s store. She fell head over heels for a dress that she just had to have. I’ll be honest that it wasn’t my favorite, but she swayed me with her fierce, unwavering conviction so I let her try it on. It is going down in history as our first mother/daughter shopping extravaganza, despite the fact that we shop together all the time, because it was the first time that she actually took an interest. Let me just say for the record...now we are in some serious trouble! I bought the dress and a little matching shrug too because we decided she will wear it for her brother's 1st Communion in May. Sleeveless dresses are risky in our neck of the woods even in late spring. It is turquoise so it will go ever so nicely with the bright blue eye shadow my friend left her the other day. Thanks Rose! Lovely metallic make-up that she smothers all over her eye brows. Apparently, she is starting a new trend! That’s my girl! That will certainly be one way to get Father T.’s attention! (My girl has a huge crush on our priest. The fact that her first crush is on an almost 50 year old priest will be as bribe-worthy as the picture I snapped of her first foray into the world of eye make-up.) Moments...it's all about the moments...capturing them....cherishing them...capitalizing on them!

Invest Wisely (and I'm not talking about your money)...Last night we attended open house/ book fair at the school. I spend time every week volunteering and am very familiar with their classrooms, their teachers, their progress. What I loved was how excited they were to share their spaces and their projects with each other. It was absolute sweetness. I am so lucky to have such amazing kids. We are so lucky to have an amazing school...nurturing, encouraging, energizing, safe and kind. It is what it is because of the people involved...the teachers, the staff, the parents and especially the kids. Every one is very invested. These investments pay huge dividends to every one involved.

I told my kids that they could each chose 1 book. My son has books from last year's fair that he has yet to read, and we frequent the library, yet I can never say 'no' to books. He knew exactly what he wanted and made deals with 2 of his friends who purchased other books in this series that they would switch off. It was good stuff. My daughter was absolutely thrilled with a Barbie Island Princess book that would have never made the cut normally because while I cannot say 'no' to reading material, I do try to influence their selections. They never even balked when I told them we would skip the ice cream social...they gave up ice cream for Lent, after all. Instead we came home, got a snack of last year's Girl Scout cookies (are you noticing the pattern here) and they started reading their new books. It was great stuff! Our children are our future!

What did you learn this week that you already knew?

No comments: