Friday, March 6, 2009

In Search of Meaning

The last book I read was in August when we spent a week at the lake. After our trip, I pretty much moved in with my Mom to spend as much time as possible with her and to take the best possible care of her. With what was going on in my world, it was impossible for me to find the energy to escape into other lives and realms. I have really missed reading.

I was lying on my bed the other day perusing the titles lining the shelves beside my bed. I was drawn to The Red Tent. I know I started Anita Diamant's novel years ago, but I'm not certain that I ever finished it, which is almost unheard of for me. Once I spent 2 years reading East of Eden. There were times I wanted to give up and had to read something else, but I did finally finish and I liked it...a lot. This quote struck me a single page into The Red Tent:

If you want to understand any woman you must first ask about her mother and then
listen carefully....The more a daughter knows the details of her mother's
life -
without flinching or whining - the stronger the daughter.
I guess that makes me incrediby strong. And then I read further:

But the other reason woman wanted daughters was to keep their memories
alive.

I do feel a palpable pull to remember my Mom and a duty to honor and celebrate the wondeful woman that she was, and I think there is a good reason I chose this book this time from the hundreds of titles on my shelves. There's always a reason, and when I uncover it, I will surely share it here.

No comments: