Monday, March 30, 2009

Fiesta Fabulosa

We took my brother to Spain for his birthday Saturday, or rather we brought Spain home.

I do love a good party. And it's even more fun when parties are planned around fun themes. My inspiration for this weekend's celebration was tres leches cake, a favorite of my brother's. My sister-in-law-to-be has already mastered this indulgent postre so I was happy to concentrate on the rest of the menu.

It was great. I made a couple simple tapas and concocted, or more like copied, a signature cocktail...the motini, which is the delicious union of the mojito and the martini. I was disappointed that my garlic alioli separated, but it was still tasty. I put on the Gipsy Kings and despite the snow falling outside, we were transported to another place and time...warmer, more exotic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mifnMC_Kn1Q

I had a local chef take care of the soup and the main course so that we could all relax and spend our time visiting and sampling the various vinos I had so much fun selecting: a tempranillo, a rioja and a rueda. She made us a batch of gazpacho and a flavorful paella that we all enjoyed. More than any thing I enjoyed being able to chill at the table with my family.

I only wish that I had hired someone to clean up after us, because right after dessert we turned into Wii rock stars. I think I may have even sung Weezer and maybe Nirvana too...in Spanish. No se.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OghwbuaECY4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiF6l-LCLm8

No comments: