Thursday, January 4, 2024

Back and Forth

 

It's funny, but I am usually more reflective this week than the week leading up to the new year. The days between the holidays are merry and festive. I woke on January 2nd to a strong shift in disposition. Before I can look forward, I have to look back. It was a year full of beauty and hardship, gains and losses, trials and tribulations. But aren't they all? 

In taking stock, there are so many things that I can do better, but did I show up for the people that I love and care for? You bet I did! Did I practice random acts of kindness? Yes. Did I honor my mind, body and spirit? Indeed. I'm doing just fine in the things that matter. Matter to me.

This year is no different. I will try and do all the things that one is supposed to do to live a healthy, balanced life. I will do the best I can and at some things I will succeed, at others I will not. It's about the intention for me. As long as I'm doing my best at the moment, that's good enough for me. It's good enough because I'm realistic.

I haven't had my word for the year epiphany. These days I think I'm more wired for word of the day. We'll see if it surfaces. If not, I'll live.

The next few weeks are light on plans and I couldn't be happier. It takes so little to make me happy. I'm most looking forward to cozy family time. Last night was such an ordinary, but superb night. Mike, Lils and I went for a walk and it was so exhilarating to be out in the crisp (not cold) evening air. We played the grocery game and the miles flew by. It was so silly that it was fun. Mike took charge of dinners. He's the taco meat master. Lily cleaned up the kitchen without being asked before going out with friends. Ted and Meryl FaceTimed from her California kitchen with a question about lemon curd made with the fruit from trees in her yard. Just a little envious about that, but so happy to see them in their aprons making dinner for her family. We cued up a movie knowing that both our kids were in good places and a cat on each of our laps. 

I'm not ready to look forward to our upcoming trip to Mexico. I know everyone else is and I know it will be fabulous, but I need some regular life and maybe some cold and snow. I heard from my aunt in Arizona that they got a couple inches overnight. It's been too warm here for my favorite wool sweaters and new corduroys. There is a possibility for a few inches this weekend, but it may also be rain. I'm hoping for the white stuff and enough of it for a snow day.

No comments: