Thursday, January 11, 2024

A Good Night

Last night was such a good night. I didn't sleep well, but I still woke up feeling light and positive this morning. I'm quite sure the couple inches of snow that fell as I tried to sleep, contributed to my mood. The branches are pristinely painted in sparkling white. The joke is, it mostly rained earlier in the week when we were warned to stay home. Then there was very little hullabaloo about last night's system. They went straight to tomorrow when we are to expect snowmaggedon. It probably won't snow at all. When we are unable to predict the current conditions accurately, I question how we can predict the weather of the future. Yes, I question climate alarmists and I wonder how the eradication of my gas car or gas stove, will do a darn bit of good when we have China and India increasing their carbon footprints at alarming rates.

That's not really what I want to talk about though...back to last night. It was the extraordinary ordinary that always warms my heart and stokes my faith. The dresses I ordered for Mexico were on the doorstep when I got home. I was able to get feedback from both my kids and the verdict is that two are keepers. I was only going for one so that was a win. It's funny how a new dress can get me excited for my upcoming vacation. And I better start getting amped up because it's fast approaching.

Said trip inspired me to continue my workout streak. I won't say how long of a streak because I don't want you to laugh at me. Let's just say long enough that I am sore. I'm not a gym rat any more. That's where the rest of the fam was. I went to the basement with my entertainers trainers, Hazel and Gus. It is a strong 2024 intention to get stronger and more nimble. If I succeed on that front, other things I seek will follow. That's what the experts say.

Post workout, I got started on dinner. Mike joined me when he got home. I am perfectly content and in my zone going solo in the kitchen or eating cheese and crackers for dinner, but I'm remembering how nice it is to have help and a hot, healthy meal. He browned the chicken and riced the 10 potatoes I'd peeled. I made the Brussels and the pan sauce. Everything was ready at the same time. Ted and his bud made plates. Nay Nay had eaten and was going to pass, but then ended up having not only seconds, but thirds... thirds of the Brussel's Sprouts he claimed not to like. I definitely am not too modest to take that as a compliment. Secret is roasted and then topped with bacon, candied pecans and balsamic glaze. Lily returned just in time from the gym to get it while it was still hot. The boys went to the family room to watch the Badger game and we girls sat in the kitchen watching the news and talking about how f42k!! up this world is issues. It wasn't family dinner, but it was close.

Lily went out with friends and I went up for a hot shower that was sort of heaven. Instead of turning on the television or picking up my I Pad, I picked up my book. Now this is a book I've been reading for a long time. I won't tell you how long because, again, I don't want you to laugh at me. Last year was my unreadingest year of all. So few pages were turned that I forgot how much and why I love a good book. It is a tribute to Anne Patchett and her memorable, vibrant characters, that I still knew them from when we met at Webb Lake. I know I'll find out what happens to the Nelson Family this time not only because I want to talk books with Candace who is reading it too, but because I am into it...loving them. Into and loving the simplicity of life right now. 


No comments: