Tuesday, January 9, 2024

All Over

I'm back home this morning before I leave for work most days. I was up and out early for an appointment to approve some sew-outs. It was still dark not just for the wee hour, but for the lack of sun and the presence of a cold driving rain. Today is the day winter arrives here. The rain will turn to snow and plenty of it we are told. (Finally I can wear my snowflake sweater.) I developed a little windshield wiper issue and decided it was best to get home and work remote for the rest of the day. I'm not going to deny that my cozy house with both trees still up was calling to me. I do not envy all the premature undecorators. I'm quite sure they are missing the hygge of twinkle lights right about now. I felt a certain conviviality with every house I passed this morning with a tree shining bright in the window. Cue up the Cranberries: Let it Linger.


The epiphany was last weekend so the twelve days of Christmas has only just ended. The city still feels festive as it should. Sunday we walked to brunch from my brother and sister-in-law's. Wisconsin Avenue is all decked out and establishments are as well.  We dined at the Edison, a swanky albeit largely inconsistent spot. I gave it an A+ on ambience and company, and a weak B on food. I probably wouldn't go back because there are so many other places to frequent.

Ted comes home from Cali today to a bit of a snowy mess. He had a fun-packed 10 days of golf, pickle ball, skiing, seal watching and spa-ing. Life is good. I'm excited to hear more about his trip and also the job he accepted with PWC. The house has been quiet without him. Presently, I'm enjoying relative silence except for ambient noise...the clocks ticking, the cat fountain streaming, the wind howling. Lily is sleeping in and Mike is in his office.

 

I think my best girl is enjoying this much needed break. Last night she came home from the gym famished and since I was just going for my workout (to the basement), she offered to make dinner. She whipped up a delicious Pasta Caprese with Chicken and she cleaned up too. As much as I like to cook, I could get very used to that. It was a new recipe that we'll tweak and try again. Tonight I'm thinking Garlic Chicken Cutlets and mashed potatoes because snow days beg for comfort food. I'm also going to make some bread for the same reason. Granola too and finally the Stuffed Cabbage I have all the ingredients for: a pan for us and a pan for my parents. I'm so productive when I work from home.


 

I tucked in last night after a hot shower with my other girl Hazel and as I was saying my prayers I had such a heavy heart for all people and animals suffering in this world. I complain about an unexpected car repair or the price of blueberries or Lily's messy room (which is btw spic and span right now), and I know what a privilege it is to have these gripes. As hard or as unfair as life can seem at times, it pales in comparison to the trials most people have to face every day.

I'm a bit all over the place today. Tuesdays are usually my days to be in my head...to take my temperature. I hope Gus knows how blessed cute he is.


 

No comments: