Friday, December 29, 2023

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

A week of often spontaneous and mostly stress-free celebrating. I managed to let go of expectations and just let it be, and magically everything worked out almost perfectly. Some things I want to remember for next year: five batches of cookies is enough to make festive trays to share with friends, family and neighbors, making a few appetizers ahead of time and plopping them in the freezer is key to keeping gatherings...planned and unplanned...sane, keep the table set and use all the good china and glasses...tidy the house as you go, keep the trees on every gray morning and throughout the night, get fresh air, drink water and get enough sleep, and don't forget random acts of kindness even if you feel too busy because there's always time to make someone smile.

 

Thanks to Lil and my new 40 oz Stanley, I should succeed at staying very well hydrated this year and it is on my growing list of intentions.

Last night Lil, Grandma, Jess and I attended a concert in candlelight in a beautiful old church. A string quartet played a selection of Taylor Swift songs and it was a lovely way to spend the Thursday after Christmas when it's so easy to give in to melancholy and feel dispirited.  


Jess stayed for a little holiday cheer and some of those frozen homemades I mentioned before. Oh, and a slice of Teddy's French Silk birthday pie. He had about three after two bowls of my Pasta Bolognese.


Embracing the pivot. I'd been thinking about making Bolognese since Christmas Eve. Yesterday was dreary and rainy and ended up being the perfect night for a hearty, comforting, one pot dinner.

Ted is on his way to Cali as I type to visit Meryl, who wrote a Christmas card to the whole family that left every one of us touched and speechless. She's a keeper.

Especially after the duo of mugs she gave us for Christmas...

Ted is in the running to be a TA again next semester. It's tight because their are grad students who didn't get fall placements and want a spring position. If the students' feedback is heavily considered, he will be Mr. Wegehaupt again. All weekend he got emails from students thanking him and praising him. I was such a proud mom.

Taking the week off between the holidays. It's a joy multiplier and it makes me feel like a kid again.

 
 Never a dull moment...
 






Togetherness.



 

The Christmas cactus my aunt gave me is blooming bright and it makes me think of her,

Cocktails after church.


Feeding Ted...




No comments: