Monday, November 14, 2016

On My Mind Monday


"The past has a clarity I can no longer see in the present."

The Nightingale
Kristin Hannah

I'm in a stretch of days and nights where I find myself lamenting that we don't live our lives backwards. So much insight comes to us in hindsight when it's quite honestly too late. Ah, but it's never too late because if we're lucky we live our lives forward with the knowledge and experience of all that has come before. And still we falter, side step, back track, but we keep on keeping on as best we can muster. It's the only way...through.

I finally picked up this novel and was drawn into the story without much effort. Now it waits again as Ann Patchett's Commonwealth came into my library cue over the weekend. I picked it up and read 100 pages yesterday in between to dos. I was smitten straight away. What's not to love about a story that begins: "The christening party took a turn when Albert Cousins arrived with gin."

No comments: