Sunday, October 4, 2015

On the Menu

I'm going to try this again.  Not sure for how long. Probably until I find the spark I need to get me out of the rut I've been in.  Maybe longer if it gets me inspired and keeps me accountable.  So here is what we're eating this week largely inspired by my recent read of Sasha Martin's memoir...

Sunday:  Hot Algerian Lasagna with a Greek salad

Fall Sundays are perfect for being busy in the kitchen so I like to take on more elaborate meals.  This will yield lots of leftovers for the week too and that is always a bonus. I plan to use chicken because I'm a little shy of lamb.  I expect the kids to pick out the garbanzos, but that's OK.

Monday: Chicken, Torta de Riso from Life From Scratch, sauteed green and yellow squash

Monday night we are all tired so quick and easy best fit the bill.  That means this will be a store bought rotisserie bird.  The Torta is very easy.

Saute 6 slices of bacon in a little EVOO.  Once fat is rendered (melted), add a chopped onion and cook until slightly browned.  Cool.  Mix together 3 cups of cooked rice (day old is best), 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan, 6 eggs lightly beaten, chopped parsley and salt and pepper to taste.  Once combined add bacon mixture and pour into greased 8x8 pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes, or until golden. Cool and cut into squares.

Tuesday: Grandpa's Famous Beef Stew on top of  Julia's Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Every year on his birthday, I make my Grandpa's beef stew.  It's what he usually made for us when we were invited for dinner, which was basically any Friday we were free.  This year he would have been 99. In honor of Grandpa Vic, I'm also going to make an apple pie, only one and I will use sugar.  He was famous for making a pie per person at Thanksgiving, and sugar cookies without sugar at Christmas.  We loved this about him because he didn't really start baking until he was in his 70s, but he started baking in his 70s.

Wednesday Chicken Tortilla Soup and Cheese Pupusas

I have the day to tend to a pot of soup simmering away on the stove.  I try to make soup once a week because it's easy, warm and great for lunches.

Thursday: Leftovers

Thursday is always leftover night at Casa Wags, and almost always a favorite.  Can you say smorgasbord!

Friday: Pizza

Friday is always pizza night and always a favorite.  Can you say pizza!  Whether we cook frozen, order in or go out, we love pizza.

Saturday:  Free for invites.




No comments: