Friday, January 30, 2015

Grateful Friday

Today I give thanks for...

Snow.

Calmly weathering life's storms.  It's not natural for me to roll with it when things go wrong or askew, but I've been better at handling those curve balls lately.  It's healthier to quiet my inner victim and become the hero especially when the kids are watching ever so intently.  Our reactions inform them, shape them, empower them, and if we're not careful, they scare them.

A husband who can add electrician to his resume this week.  Last week it was plumber and the week before painter.

My new (unclogged) spa shower - thanks to Plumber Coach as well.

Trivia Crack.  It's addicting.

A mid-day mid-week date at the movies with my guy.  We saw American Sniper.  I'm glad we saw it, but I'm not exactly sure how I feel about it yet.

Popcorn for lunch.

Tonight we have a date to pick out new sunglasses and then try out a new restaurant in our city.  Just the two of us.  No curfew.

Our first meeting for high school was only slightly mind bending.  Good thing we have four more before Teddy's inaugural year.  I'm thankful for what, at times, seems like over-communication because it gets us all  prepared gradually.

Miss Bit's desk is finished and she's loving it.  We moved a few things out and around, hung her new horse canvas, and she is as pleased as can be.  I was prepared to paint and redecorate, but she's perfectly happy the way it is.  There is much to learn from her attitude in life.

Tuna mixed with Greek yogurt instead of mayo.  I actually prefer it this way and it's so much healthier.

Cabbage roasted with ribbons of carrots, onions, cider vinegar and habanero sauce.   Crunchy, sweet, sour and spicy.

Doodling.

Mary Oliver.  I read an interview she gave somewhere on the inter web the other day.  I jotted down this line because it made total sense to me:  "Attention without feeling, I began to learn, is only a report.  An openness - an empathy - was necessary if attention was to matter."

Journals in which to doodle and jot.

Weekend projects.  I'm putting together a very special CD for a couple friends this weekend.

A fun time in the studio with my girl.  I didn't feel great owing to my cold and being out late the night before, but I knew how much it would mean to her to be so spontaneous.  It meant a great deal to me as well.  It was good for me to just do it...to just have fun...to be in the moment.

Feeling lighter.  More optimistic too.