Thursday, September 12, 2013

Rejoicing

After the boys left for 5 o’clock football practice yesterday, I tuned into the weather while I started dinner prep. Two days ago we were well into the 90s. Yesterday we were enjoying the 80s. We have lost 10 degrees a day, and this pattern is predicted to continue. Today it is a beautiful 70. Tomorrow will be somewhere in the 60s.

I put the chicken back in the refrigerator and told Miss Bit to get her bathing suit on. Immediately, my little fish had that excited twinkle in her inquiring eyes. We’re going to Lake Michigan for a swim, I confirmed. Swimming days are numbered in our parts I know. My spontaneity surprised her a little. Sadly, we haven’t had many before or after dinner lake adventures this summer, but tonight the long-term forecast got to me. I was struck by what a shame it was that we hadn’t resumed last summer’s swim eves. They were sublime sand, seaweed and all.

She was also surprised…happily so…that I had my bathing suit on. I confess that I hesitated briefly because I was just freshly showered, but I knew it would be more fun for her if we swam together...more fun for me too. I knew I would watch longingly from the shore if I decided not to get soggy or sandy.

As we drove to our favorite beach, we talked about the night almost exactly one year ago when we came to the same place and were greeted by an ethereal angel in the sky. Wouldn’t it be another miracle if we saw another angel in the clouds mama? my little angel mused. Oh to be so lucky I thought as I secretly dared the universe to dazzle us once again.

She took off down the path ahead of me as soon as the car stopped moving and was almost in the water by the time I made my way to the shore. I put my feet in and worried that would be it. I feared I couldn’t go any further. It was Canadian air cold. Chill your bones frigid. Lily ran in, dove under and came shooting up with a hoot before submerging herself again. I admired her joie de vivre and neoprene skin. I was grateful to be in the presence of her bright shining joy.



At first when I looked up, I was disappointed by what I saw as an ordinary sky. Although not just blue. More cerulean. Yes, a cerulean sky filled with so many vaporous clouds. Not angels, but angel’s wings. Thousands of angel’s wings. A skyful. That is not at all ordinary… especially not on 9/11 I decided.



It took me the better part of fifteen minutes, but I managed to meet Miss Bit out beyond the pier. Just get your feet wet I heard myself say. First feet, then knees, then thighs, then belly, then breasts, then shoulders…when I finally went under, I felt more alive than I have in weeks...months. I went down again and again, but it was never quite as electric. More, More I heard and was reminded of Hilde from The Good House.



Miss Bit went off to pier jump. I cheered her on from a warm pocket and I watched the other beachcombers. Just a few people and their dogs joined us. We were the only human swimmers. I felt a little proud that we took the plunge when a mother and her two children arrived and eyed us thirstily from the dry pier.



Thirty minutes turned into an hour, but deep down we knew it would. We got out to towel off. And that’s when it happened. A line of sweet pink rose up from the horizon and started to overtake the atmospheric sky like a hazy overlay. Everything softened including my heart. Most of all my heart.  Within moments, the reach where the water meets the sky appeared periwinkle and lavender. It was as if the sky was a giant canvas being painted…transformed really...right before our eyes.




Our new friends were talking, dogs were chasing frisbees, but the world stood still and silent for me in that instant. I witnessed the rosy sky melt into the water. Lake Michigan sparkled like liquid tourmaline. I felt such pure peace and gratitude as I looked to the west to see an almost half moon ready to take over for the sun. Thank you beautiful Mother Earth, I thought. Bless you kind angels overhead, I whispered. Goodnight, I said aloud to our new friends. I love you to the moon and back, I reminded my girl.