Tuesday, September 17, 2013

On This Week's Menu

.  
Despite the fact that we have something going on most nights, we still sit down for family dinner at least four or five times a week. Planning ahead makes it all the more likely that we skip fast and freezer foods even when we are short on time. Recording what I prepare and serve keeps me accountable.  It's helpful to have a log detailing what I've made from week to week. I'm less likely to fall into a rut when I can look back and see previous week's meal plans.  Sure T. Bone would like to eat crepes every day and Miss Bit would be happy with chicken tenders with ranch and ketchup morning noon and night, but that ain't going to fly around this kitchen.  I try to mix up our old favorites with new options too.  The kids are at a great age for that.  I like to plan four meals a week.  This seems to work because Thursday is leftover night and Friday is pizza night at Casa Wags.  Saturday we either go out or collaborate and cook together based on how ambitious we are, what we are hungry for and who we are entertaining.

With no further adieu...this week's menu fresh, simple and balanced:

Herb crusted pork roast, baked potatoes and broccoli.  Miss Bit loves pork!

Soup Night.  Spicy tomato and/or chicken pastina, sourdough rolls and strawberries.  I defrosted a container of chicken pastina and a couple containers of homemade stock so this meal was mostly ready.  I will be doing much more of this on cool nights that call for quick dinners.

Whole oven roasted chicken, Green Rice (brown rice with kale) and corn on the cobb.

Grilled pork chops (Miss Bit loves pork!), salad and Potato, Cauliflower and Camembert Gratin from Curtis Stone's What's For Dinner: Delicious Recipes for a Busy Life.  I checked his new book out over the weekend, and I am so looking forward to trying many of his recipes.   BTW...I also checked out camembert on the www.  While I love cheese and very much enjoy cooking, I'm not all haughty and high brow.  I think one of T. Bone's friends said it best a couple years ago:  I am a homecooker.